Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to the press release over at Secrets:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/newsf...sl-1-2004.html

I don't own electrostats, and really have only ever heard Martin Logans, but these Finals look interesting. Not just the ones in the press release but the entire line. Does anyone know how much they normally go for? Has anyone heard how they sound? In my area it looks like I'd have to go to Reston, VA or Winchester, VA to hear them. I wonder if it's worth the trip?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Max
Here is a link to the press release over at Secrets:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/newsf...sl-1-2004.html

I don't own electrostats, and really have only ever heard Martin Logans, but these Finals look interesting. Not just the ones in the press release but the entire line. Does anyone know how much they normally go for? Has anyone heard how they sound? In my area it looks like I'd have to go to Reston, VA or Winchester, VA to hear them. I wonder if it's worth the trip?
Sean,

I auditioned the Final Model 700 about 5 years ago along with the ML Aerius i.

The Finals compared favorably to the Aerius i.

Current price of the 700 is $5K / pair, I believe.

·
Premium Member
25,537 Posts
I think these models have to be considered anew, as their lower prices ($1K/pr) indicate corners may have been cut sonically.

Very interesting, but quite a bit of suspect info at their web site:

1) All models seem to be 86 dB sensitivity, regardless of size

2) They claim having the conductive material "deep" in the middle of the diaphragm gives better sound than if it were on the surface.

3) They claim 150 Hz extension from an 8" x 20" speaker. If the back is open, certainly not possible w/o headroom-killing EQ (diaphragm is too small a baffle), and if the back is closed...well perhaps the large diaphragm

area would let it be EQ'd effectively; I think the Fb would be above 150 Hz with the large driver area and small volume.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I noticed the odd similarity of the specs on their website. Every model in the Home Theatre series has pretty much the same specs: freq. resp., power handling, sensitivity, etc. If they truly are all the same (doubtful), then what do you get by stepping up in size?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the price info, Morbius.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sean,

You're getting more headroom capability. Bigger panel can play louder without hitting the limits. Much like arrays of speakers in prosound; the basic unit can reach a given frequency response, and arrays really don't get you more frequency range; rather, you get more headroom/output.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan, would you happen to know the headroom/output levels for the respective panel sizes? At some point I'd like to upgrade my speakers and reduce the footprint of my theater at the same time and the wall hanging Finals seem as good a contender as any to accomplish both of those goals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.