AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I am starting to get into the idea of getting a plasma and not worrying about an LCD. With my income as a student I am more likely to be able to make small payments for longer than I am able to buy it in one stroke. Any thoughts on this?

Also if anyone can recommend a place online that's good or has frequent sales for Panasonic Plasma's (these ones have the warmer, more lifelike colors, correct?) that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
if i were you i would wait until you're done with school, have purchased a home and have the savings account padded... then buy a nice tv. not trying to preach, just speaking from experience ;)

if you really have the itch to buy and you need to scratch it, go for it but im not sure if any online sellers offer financing options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you MUST go into debt to get that plasma, do yourself a favor and go to a bank or credit union. Consumer credit lines are almost always higher interest rates, and don't look good on your credit score - most of the time opening one of these accounts affects your credit score negatively. A bank or credit union loan will have the opposite effect if you pay it on time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to think some more about it. Can anyone tell me if my Samsung 26 inch HDTV is a good choice? Then I will stick with it. I will post the model number later. If there is any choice that is better, LCD wise, which is definitely more affordable for now let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Financing consumer electronics :eek: is a silly idea. If you can't afford it - don't get it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree with the other posters. When it comes to "toys" My golden rule is if I don't not have money to buy the item with cash then I need to wait till I do.

John

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i've financed many electonics items through retail. Its no biggie at all. Just remember if they offer 0% interest for an alotted time, make sure you can pay it off within that time. Rule of thumb, if you cant pay it off comfortably within a year then dont get it. Some of these guys have more money than other people so you cant take a wealthy ones response seeing as how their not in the same financial situation as you. I got a 2000 dollar laptop from best buy a year ago and paid it off in 7 months on a basic full time job. Now i have a much better paying job and a monthly payment on a tv set is chump change. Plus i got a load of credit at best buy once i paid off the laptop.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM83
Just curious, I am starting to get into the idea of getting a plasma and not worrying about an LCD. With my income as a student I am more likely to be able to make small payments for longer than I am able to buy it in one stroke. Any thoughts on this?
Yes, save your money and focus on your studies.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Um, simply buy a $1000 lcd and you will have a very nice HDTV untill you can afford a much nicer one

Besides, Chicks dig ANY flat panel that 30 inches plus :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBearsOwn
Um, simply buy a $1000 lcd and you will have a very nice HDTV untill you can afford a much nicer one

Besides, Chicks dig ANY flat panel that 30 inches plus :)

Any particular models I should look for? Thanks for the advice everyone, I probably shouldn't finance anything until I stabilize my work situation. So now if anyone wants to recommend an LCD that looks as good as or better than my Samsung clunker feel free.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
"worth it?"

No.

You finance survival needs that you can't afford that are investments like cars, and houses.

You don't finance pleasure items. If you can't afford them, you can't afford them. Ruining credit or being a slave to bills is not 'worth it'.

Seth

·
Banned
314 Posts
wELL, Costco.com is pretty much sold out of the $1000 30+ models at the moment

Maybe and internet dealer, but also Please look at TARGET.COM they have some awesome deals AND if you sign up for thier website or something they send you a 10% off coupon in email

so you could get like $100 off

THEY have some SICK tv's too...... i dont think a lot of people realize that www.target.com offers so many GOOD tv's

its amazing

Thier tv section seems to be down at the moment, check with them later, maybe they are updating it

·
Banned
314 Posts
Target.com has a...

Kreisen 30-in. HDTV-Ready, Widescreen (16:9) LCD TV - LT-30FMP FOR CHEAP

and a

Syntax Olevia 30†HDTV-Ready LCD TV - LT30HV

ViewSonic NextVision 30" Widescreen LCD TV - N3000W

Vizio 30" LCD TV - L30WGU

Syntax Olevia 32" HDTV-Ready LCD TV - LT32HV

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
In all seriousness...

You know, when I was a student I also has the age old income problem. As soon as I graduated and landed a decent job I bought a honkin home theater as a present to myself for all those hours of sacrfice.

I'm sure this is played out over and over. I have to re-affirm everyone elses comments to hold back the urge and not finance if possible. You likley won't regret it.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.