AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the most recent dialup phone number change (~3 months ago?), the local phone number I had been using disappeared. This bothered me, as there were no other local numbers to choose from in the list provided by Replay TV. Being stubborn and cheap, I chose not to choose a new number from the list. I figured I would just keep using the old dialup number until RTV's ISP opted to unplug that old modem pool.

Funny Thing happened, though. The old (local) number never stopped working. So I recently did some investigating. First I went to Replay TV's website--their phone number lookup page:
http://*******.com/o9ll

I typed in my area code and prefix. No local numbers for me. So I tried my cell phone, which is a local call, but has a different prefix. Another Funny Thing happened -- I got a different list of numbers. So I tried a few other local prefixes, and sometimes got the same list, sometimes different numbers. Weird.

I remembered reading somewhere that Replay TV uses EarthLink as an ISP (at least in some areas). So I went to EarthLink's website, and after a little searching I found their phone number lookup page:
http://*******.com/o9nf

I typed in my home phone, and suddenly I was staring at the mysteriously not-dead dialup number I had been using lo these past few months!

On whim, I went back to Replay TV's phone number lookup page, and I type in the area code and prefix of the mysteriously not-dead dialup number. And guess what the Replay TV script spat back out at me. That's right, you guessed it. The very same, precious local dialup number which is now not-so-mysteriously not-dead!

Conclusions:

1) Replay TV's website doesn't do a very good job of generating a list of "local" dialup numbers given your home phone number. At least, not for me.

2) One of RTV's ISPs, Earthlink, on the other hand, does a great job of finding a local dialup number given your home phone number. At least, for me it did.

3) If you feed RTV's website the area code and prefix of a known local dialup, it will very likely be able to find the matching local dialup number.

Some of you may not notice the utility of (3), but let me try to explain. AFAIK, my 5040 does not allow me to directly input a phone number to connect to. I have to select it from a list that it presents me with, based on my "home" phone number. If I type in the AC and prefix of my actual home phone number, I do not get an option to choose a local dialup number. If I type in the area code and prefix of a known local dialup number, then I actually get to choose a local dialup number!

Update #1:

Recently it was found that the method I described for finding "hidden" local dialup numbers doesn't completely work in all cases:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=311190

Basically, this is an instance where there are exactly two Earthlink dialup numbers that are local to a small city in Texas. Both have the same area code and prefix. Unfortunately, Replay TV's script will only find one of the numbers if you give it the same area code and prefix as your "home phone". To make matters worse, one of the numbers doesn't work correctly, and that is the only one that Replay TV's script will find.

Update #2:

Lyndon brought some new insight to this issue:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...14#post2788514

According to Lyndon, there is an association problem, and by that I think he means that the Replay TV script will not necessarily find all Replay TV-available local dialup numbers for a given home phone number. However, Replay TV does not have access to all of the Earthlink phone numbers. So, just because you see a local dialup number in the Earthlink database does not necessarily mean that Replay TV has leased access for it.

He didn't comment on the AT&T Worldnet access--I don't know if that means anything or not.

-Robbie

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Note that any URL that's really long is abbreviated in the post anyway, so those *******s really don't help much. Thanks for the thought, but save yourself the time next time! :)

(I supposed other forums could post the whole thing and be a pain...)

On your problem, it could be that local numbers from one exchange that is local to you are not local to you, if that makes sense. 'Local' is a slippery concept for ISPs and phone listings, sometimes. Or, it could be as trivial as the indexes not being set up correctly.

And, on what the RTV itself has in memory for you to choose from, I wonder how often that is updated on the server side. You would hope all of this would be synced up together, but... :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on long URLs, Lee. I didn't realize this forum abbreviated them.

As far as a local exchange being "non-local"--I can imagine such a thing happening, especially in metro areas, but in my case it is simply a problem with Replay TV's lookup script. Maybe I was being to generic before. Here's the deal:

I live in Stillwater, OK. Aside from the University, it is a fairly rural location, so pretty much only Stillwater phone numbers are local to Stillwater. According to Earthlink's website, there is only one (Earthlink) dialup modem pool in Stillwater, OK. If I give Earthlink's lookup script my home phone, it finds _only_ the Stillwater phone number. If I give RTV's script my home phone, it finds a lot of (non-local) Oklahoma phone numbers, but not the one for the Stillwater modem pool. That seems a bit off to me. If I give RTV's script the area code and exchange for the Stillwater modem pool, it miraculously finds the Stillwater modem pool. BTW, I have verified with the "local-ness" of that modem pool with the phone company--as I have been dialing it nightly for several months now, and they have not deigned to assess any long-distance charges.

I think the problem is RTV's script isn't very good at finding "local" numbers. One might think that they could at least offer you a selection of phone numbers with the same city, in addition to matching your exchange.

-Robbie

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Hm, thanks for more details... I would think that the Replay script would just feed into an Earthlink database. That's where I was coming from. It seems strange that it wouldn't match up. It definitely shouldn't be trying to match your exchange only, as you say. Heck, many metro places nowadays have overlay area codes, where a completely area code can be in the same house and still local, of course!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does Replay or Tivo start a program from its begininng that is delayed by a network like when a football game goes into triple overtime and pushes the start of 60 minutes Alias back by 14 minutes?

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
lurker, how about a new thread for a completely new question?

All the Replay knows about is what's in the channel guide. There were some special padding programs around but they are not supported for the 5000s. And, in record options, you can pad by hand, but not automatically.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My apologies and my thanks. I'll figure out how to start a new thread in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Try the button at the bottom right of every thread that says 'new thread'. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks sheltrk,

I have a Showstopper HS2000, was haveing problems, and, tryed to get thru the 'Settings"".. and, I backed out, because, there Wasn't the local phone # that I am currently using.. I will try yer method next time I do that... Wish replay would just Fix the problem...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can't find an Earthlink number, you can also try AT&T Worldnet:
http://help.att.net/iw/ci/access_info.jsp?platform=none

It's worth a shot, especially if you're currently paying long distance charges to dial in to Replay TV.

If you don't trust the lookup scripts, both Earthlink and ATT Worldnet also let you browse access numbers by state.

Redwood, it sounds like you have exactly the same problem I had. Here's what I recommend you try.

First, write down the local phone number you are currently using. Go to Replay TV's website to access their local lookup script:
http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/sup...onenumbers.asp

Type in the area code and prefix of the number you are currently using. If the script comes back with that same number, you're all set. Go into your Showstopper's settings, and type in that number instead of your home phone. That should fix it.

If, on the other hand, RTV's script doesn't find your number, I would go to Earthlink and AT&T to verify that the number you are using is still valid. If it is, then you need to tell Replay TV to update their phone number database.

-Robbie

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Great job finding the ATT info. My 5000 would not connect to earthlink local numbers but it does with the ATT ones. ya hoo:):)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to update this thread. Recently it was found that the method I described for finding "hidden" local dialup numbers doesn't completely work in all cases:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=311190

Basically, this is an instance where there are exactly two Earthlink dialup numbers that are local to a small city in Texas. Both have the same area code and prefix. Unfortunately, Replay TV's script will only find one of the numbers if you give it the same area code and prefix as your "home phone". To make matters worse, one of the numbers doesn't work correctly, and that is the only one that Replay TV's script will find.

Hopefully someone at Replay can take a look at that script and figure out a way to let those of us who live in small cities have access to all possible local dialup numbers.

-Robbie

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lyndon brought some new insight to this issue:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...14#post2788514

According to Lyndon, there is an association problem, and by that I think he means that the Replay TV script will not necessarily find all Replay TV-available local dialup numbers for a given home phone number. However, Replay TV does not have access to all of the Earthlink phone numbers. So, just because you see a local dialup number in the Earthlink database does not necessarily mean that Replay TV has leased access for it.

He didn't comment on the AT&T Worldnet access--I don't know if that means anything or not.

-Robbie

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
If the ReplayTV access number search can find and list a local number based on area code and prefix, then I would think a ReplayTV box should be able to connect to that number. But that's not the case with any access number ending in 1020 for Missouri. A 4XXX series box can connect to those numbers but will not hang up when the call is finished, a 5000 series box can't even negotiate a connection.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by l8er
If the ReplayTV access number search can find and list a local number based on area code and prefix, then I would think a ReplayTV box should be able to connect to that number. But that's not the case with any access number ending in 1020 for Missouri. A 4XXX series box can connect to those numbers but will not hang up when the call is finished, a 5000 series box can't even negotiate a connection.
Gary, I've experienced exactly the same situation with local numbers here in Massachusetts. I searched out all the ATT and Earthlink numbers then tried them one by one until I finally found a number that hangs up the 4000 modem and another that authorizes the 5000 connection. There's definitely local server problems out there.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
Gary, I've experienced exactly the same situation with local numbers here in Massachusetts..... There's definitely local server problems out there.
That's why I find this extremely frustrating. I reported this at the beginning of August and so far nothing has changed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hey Robbie: Nice posts. This hit home for me, as I was installing a Replay 5040 for a customer on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I had the same problem; no local access numbers for him. I called Replay, and they could not find one. The customer said he didn't want to keep it, if there was no local number. I didn't blame him, and I sold it to another customer. Now, I have to go back to the customers house this week, and its an hour ride for me. It ocurred to me that perhaps if I brought a TIVO with me, maybe there would be some local access numbers. What do you think? Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The availability of a local dialup number was a definite factor in my purchase decision. I just checked--TiVo still does not have a local dialup number for my area. Anyway, sounds like you want to know where to look to find TiVo locals. Well, TiVo uses MCI / WorldCom, and you can find the complete list here:
http://global.mci.com/about/network/pops/

Hope you can read .xls files, as they don't have any other format available. Oddly, they provide HTML listings if you don't live in the US...

-Robbie

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sheltrk
Hope you can read .xls files, as they don't have any other format available. Oddly, they provide HTML listings if you don't live in the US...
Actually, USA is also in the drop-down list of countries so you can get the list in HTML and restrict by city/area code/state.

- Runny

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.