AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new tv and I need to come to a decision within a couple of weeks (insurance claim reimbursement). Please help me find one!

I'm in the market for a 42-46" (preferably 46") that will total after shipping to

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I don't think a lot of people will do your leg work for you.

Might go out and look at a few places and come back with a couple of alternatives for feedback.

Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon are all places to stretch your shopping legs.

Lots out there in your price range.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The "will use it as a computer monitor for about 70% of the time" comment leads me to the conclusion that you may need to lean towards LCD as your primary tech.

Are you intending doing business computing on this display, or is it just surfing and HTPC type of stuff?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16933610

I don't think a lot of people will do your leg work for you.

Might go out and look at a few places and come back with a couple of alternatives for feedback.

Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon are all places to stretch your shopping legs.

Lots out there in your price range.

I was looking for a panel recommedation based on personal experiences of folks from this forum, not for people to do my leg work for me. I am a very efficient shopper trust me on this; that is precisely the reason I visited this forum (well known home of many videophiles) to educate myself on specific panels. So if you have a panel suggestion based on merit and personal experience with in the confines that I listed above, Please offer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotcanuck /forum/post/16934649

The "will use it as a computer monitor for about 70% of the time" comment leads me to the conclusion that you may need to lean towards LCD as your primary tech.

Are you intending doing business computing on this display, or is it just surfing and HTPC type of stuff?

I am a trader so it will be used for "business" purposes as well. I wont be doing any personal graphic work so the primary use of it will be for entertainment purposes such as Blurays and HDDVDS, Typical HTPC stuff. It will be used occasionally for gaming just not primarily (lack of 2560x1600 resolution).

Im leaning toward LCD because of past experiences. I used a Aquos LC32GP3U for 1.5 years as a monitor before it was destroyed by electrical malfunction. But as I said, I have only heard horror stories about image retention and would like to avoid that. I am open to plasmas if they are typically resistant to this due to the fact that it will occasionally display static imagery.

So if this information helps a bit more, please offer your advice

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Odds are you are better off with an LCD since what you are looking for is a large computer monitor. Stick with Samasung in that case, they have some very nice LCD units, I have a B650 and it looks great straight on, off to the side not so much.

·
Registered
584 Posts
In two weeks prices can fluctuate greatly. Today you can get the Sony 40V5100, a great 40" LCD with 120hz, for well under your budget, but the prices can, and are likely to, increase at any time.

Do lots of reading and research, visit BB frequently, this way you can get a handle on the feaures out there before making your purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well guys, after being offered a pretty sweet deal and reading some info concerning the Aquos LC46E77U I decided to get one. I hope to try another brand in the future but this deal was entirely too good to pass up. Thanks for replying to my thread and sharing all of your inputs.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edifyingkarma /forum/post/16943155

Well guys, after being offered a pretty sweet deal and reading some info concerning the Aquos LC46E77U I decided to get one. I hope to try another brand in the future but this deal was entirely too good to pass up. Thanks for replying to my thread and sharing all of your inputs.

You did just fine.

Sharp is great quality TV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I freakin loved my Aquos GP3U and I am aware of the occasional banding issues with some of their models. However, from my research, I have found that many E77U owners have encountered far fewer banding issues than previous models. I will definitely analyze it though once received and return it if I encounter that nuisance. Like I said though, I got a VERY good deal for it,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts