AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I will state the obvious here, but it might help out someone new to sub eq. I had my sub in a location that I thought was the best. After EQ, I was able to get the response almost perfectly flat +-3dB all the way down to 18hz. Here is the catch though, I had to do some pretty massive cuts to get there. Two things happened. 1) Because the cuts were so dramatic, it caused huge peaks at other seats...not good. Although it sounded great at the listening position, it was awfull in other spots 2) Because the cuts were so dramatic, I lost a bunch of headroom because I now needed to increase the overall sub level to compensate.

Feeling upset, I tried many different locations, and found one in the back corner, behind me. My end result at my primary seat is not quite as good, but still a very nice +-4dB down to 18hz. The two things I found are that 1) I get a pretty nice response in all of my seats. 2) I have 5dB of additional headroom which I love.

Anyway, just thought I would share.

Greg

·
Registered
639 Posts
I run both my monsters off the back wall, seems to work well for me too..Vaulted Ceilings...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator /forum/post/16920815

I run both my monsters off the back wall, seems to work well for me too..Vaulted Ceilings...

I only have one sub (will get 2 soon...wife pending
), and when I place it in the back right corner of the room I literally have a 30% increase in room gain. That number is calculated by my ears and a fellow AVS members ears...and a few beers.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang /forum/post/16920721

Awesome stuff! May I ask: (1) What sub are you using to get to 18Hz flat? (2) What EQ are you using? (3) What technique did you use to find the optimal position?

My sub is the SVS PB10. I am lucky that I have a really small room (1450 cubic feet). I never got this good of a response even with much more expensive/larger subs in my previous home in my larger room. I am using the eD eQ.2. Again, I am lucky that I only have two major offenses in my room (at the location I found), so the two dials were enough for me. I did it the hard way...I used a disc with sine waves and plotted it out with a spreadsheet. I probably should have used REW, but couldn't get my soundcard working the right way.

Once funds permit, I may add a second PB10, but for now, in my room, I can get to 15dB below reference before any sort of compression sets in. That is my normal listening level...adding another will give me just enough breathing room if I want to push it any higher.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts