AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a rather nice 1080P TV which is great for Blu-Rays and the like. But most PS3 and 360 games are only 720p, and it's QUITE noticeable to me. I'm not sure about others, but the upscaling of 720p to 1080p is just as annoying as 480p to 720p (and let's not mention 480p to 1080p). So I've decided that I want a real 720p TV. LittleBigPlanet, Halo 3, even the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII are only 720P resolution for the source.

But I don't want one of those 1366x768 or any other wacky "720p-capable" resolution that is NOT exactly 1280x720. It seems that the manufacturers want to dump all of their not-720p screens on us and not give us actual 720p native resolution.

I know Toshiba used to make some LCDs that were actually 1280x720 native resolution (the ##AV500U series). I'm not sure if they're discontinued, but I can't find them anymore at my local Best Buy or Wal-mart (where I used to see them, before I wanted to buy one).

Does anyone have any clues to what's a good current model 1280x720 resolution display? Should I just try to order the discontinued Toshibas?

I know some DLP rear-projectors can be actual 1280x720p but I'm looking for a flat-panel, not a projection or projector.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Most of those games aren't even 720p, Halo 3 is only 640p and Call of Duty 4 is only 600p so you are pretty much out of luck in that area. And based on some reports, the CG cinema's of FF13 are actually in 1080p on the PS3 based on the demo (while the rest of the game is "720p).

Finding games that are actually true 720p is rare these days.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure there's no real 720p display. It's actually 768, they just say 720 because it just sounds easier to say or something... "ten-eighty P and seven-twenty P"

"HEY what's the resolution?"

"Full seven-sixty-eight P!"

"NO WAY!"

PS: FF13 at 1080p? Wow, I want it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True, the cinematics of FFXIII are 1080p, that's because it's a pre-rendered video and the Blu-Ray disc can hold it. The game's real-time rendering is said to be 720P.

And yes bksecret23, there do exist some actual 1280x720 displays (at least, there used to). Some were HDTVs, some were just computer monitors (but both are hard to find in stores now). Either way would work, as I'd have a separate audio system if it has to be a computer monitor.

Lately I've been playing LittleBigPlanet and Hakuna Matata (Afrika) on my PS3 but they're 720p resolution, and to my eyes the upscale on my 1080p TV is very noticeable (not just with these games, but any 720p game). I've also been playing Fable 2, which is 1080p, and it looks great. When a game's source resolution and the display resolution match, it always looks the best.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elranzer /forum/post/16908558

True, the cinematics of FFXIII are 1080p, that's because it's a pre-rendered video and the Blu-Ray disc can hold it. The game's real-time rendering is said to be 720P.

And yes, there do exist some actual 1280x720 displays. Some where HDTVs, some were just computer monitors (but both areh ard to find in stores now). Either way would work, as I'd have a separate audio system if it has to be a computer monitor.

It is still rather pointless to go out of your way to get a 720p native set for these games when most of them aren't even 720p native, the image gets scaled no matter what. (unless you find a 640p native screen for Halo and a 600p native screen for CoD4 and every other game with an oddball resolution would need a native screen for them, some games are as low as 500p)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To tell the truth, I don't really play Halo 3 or CoD4, I just mentioned them because people know of those games. Though I'm sure the upscale from 640p to 720p is much less noticeable than 640p to 1080p.

I constantly hear about how great looking these PS3 games are supposed to look, but I play them on the 1080p TV and see upscale artifacts, and am disappointed.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elranzer /forum/post/16908690

To tell the truth, I don't really play Halo 3 or CoD4, I just mentioned them because people know of those games. Though I'm sure the upscale from 640p to 720p is much less noticeable than 640p to 1080p.

I constantly hear about how great looking these PS3 games are supposed to look, but I play them on the 1080p TV and see upscale artifacts, and am disappointed.

The problem is that most games are like that, I just used them as examples because they are popular. You aren't going to get away from scaling artifacts with any set when using the current systems, sad to say but it is true.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
ATM, you only have two choices

1366 x 768 (with 2.5% overscan). Although, on some modes, it can be disabled.

and

1920 x 1080

From a metamathematical point of view, it is easier to up-scale 720 to 1080 than to 768

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my basement, I have this Samsung CRT-based HDTV. It only goes up to 1080i rather than 1080p, but due to the nature of CRT, it can change native res down to 480p, 480i or 720p based on the input source.

The only reason I'm not using it is because I want to lean off of CRT (they're just way too huge). Also, CRTs seem to have this "screen whine" that I can notice.

But I wonder, if I should just pull the ol' 300lb pounder out of the basement and stick with it.

Sometimes I wish my eyes and ears weren't as sensitive to detect screen artifacts and CRT screen whine, and just be content with a single 1080p TV like most American consumers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM /forum/post/16908749

ATM, you only have two choices

1366 x 768 (with 2.5% overscan). Although, on some modes, it can be disabled.

and

1920 x 1080

Nielo, I'm definitely convinced that 1080p is better than 768p, for 720p content. My point is, there's actually 1280x720 resolution displays out there (1:1 for 720p content) which would be the ideal situation.

I just don't want to have to buy a used Toshiba (or any Toshiba, for that matter).

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elranzer /forum/post/16909026

That's what I'm afraid of. I'd have to buy an old/discontinued model... if I even decide to go for it.

I'd rather invest time and money in my quest for a true EDTV before getting a second HDTV.

I am actually using a 1280:720p computer monitor right now, it came with the tower....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts