AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have four wharfedale em 97 mkIV speakers each speaker has four binding posts... so thats basically 16 connections total. im looking for a receiver that i can hook up all four speakers too any recomendations?

cable connection.jpeg 134k .jpeg file

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
With those straps in place you only need one pair of connecters per speaker and most any avr (even a 2 channel with a/b speakers) can handle that. With the straps removed it's for bi-wiring (a complete waste of time and wire) or pseudo bi-amping (but with an avr that's a waste of time IMHO). But why do you only want 4 speakers? You setting up dual stereo or do you want surround sound? What exactly do you want to do other than have us try and read your mind?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well in general i just want to hook them up.. its as plain as that to me.. but i guess you could call it surround sound.. but those straps i only have on two of the four speakers. those are the only four speakers i was given .. i don't really know much about speakers never paid any attention to it until now.

i don't mind putting in the time i have lots of that. i would just like sum help on figuring out what a/v receiver i would need to buy in order to hook up all four speakers,...

since u said with the straps i would only need one pair of connections. and since i have two speakers with those straps. i would need a receiver with 12 binding post connections instead of the 16 i thought i needed?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynoob  /t/1468767/finding-an-audio-video-receiver#post_23231719

well in general i just want to hook them up.. its as plain as that to me.. but i guess you could call it surround sound.. but those straps i only have on two of the four speakers. those are the only four speakers i was given .. i don't really know much about speakers never paid any attention to it until now.

i don't mind putting in the time i have lots of that. i would just like sum help on figuring out what a/v receiver i would need to buy in order to hook up all four speakers,...

since u said with the straps i would only need one pair of connections. and since i have two speakers with those straps. i would need a receiver with 12 binding post connections instead of the 16 i thought i needed?

If you have four speakers and want them to get surround information you'd be looking for a 5.1 channel receiver. If you just want to hook up 4 speakers and don't care about surround then a stereo receiver would work for audio, but stereo receivers usually do not help with video. In the case of the former that would be at least 5 pairs of connectors, one pair for each speaker and one would go unused; in the latter look for a receiver that can handle two sets of speakers, i.e. 4 pair of speaker connectors (usually designated A & B).

Another consideration is the impedance rating for the speakers, if they're 4 ohm that can play a role in your choice of amp (whereas 6 or 8 ohm are commonly handled by most all receivers/avrs).

Now, your title mentions video signals, so what do you want to do with video signals?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
If you are missing a couple of binding posts straps, then you can use short pieces of speaker wire to accomplish the same thing.

Depending on where the speakers are related to your tv, it is hard to make a suggestion on what kind of receiver you want us to recommend.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would suggest a 4.0 setup with phantom center.

Basic idea is put 2 speakers beside your TV and 2 beside or a bit behind where you set. One set of wires to each speaker - where you are missing straps, replace them with a short piece of speaker cable.

Any A/V receiver will work. If you go with the same brand as your TV/Blu-ray player you can probably use the same remote for both - even with lower end ones. You have a nearby Frys or Best Buy? The features/power/quality that you get will depend on your budget.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts