AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony XBR6 found something like 160 analog and 88 digital channels when it did the initial scan without a cable box. So I have decided to save the $9/month. But the channels have numbers like 106.1002, etc. Are these numbers published anywhere?

e.g. I would like to know which channel # to enter for AMC so I can then store it as a "favorite". But I can't seem to find it.

I'm on Comcast cable.

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts
No there is no published list of the channels because they do change from time to time and can be different from area to area in the same system. Most of the channels your tuner found are most likely encrypted and you will need the cable box to watch them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/15585969

No there is no published list of the channels because they do change from time to time and can be different from area to area in the same system. Most of the channels your tuner found are most likely encrypted and you will need the cable box to watch them.

O.K. that is what I expected. I don't think they are encrypted as I think I can view all of them. Many of them are "audio only", however.

·
Registered
456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Mountain /forum/post/15585887

My Sony XBR6 found something like 160 analog and 88 digital channels when it did the initial scan without a cable box. So I have decided to save the $9/month. But the channels have numbers like 106.1002, etc. Are these numbers published anywhere?

e.g. I would like to know which channel # to enter for AMC so I can then store it as a "favorite". But I can't seem to find it.

I'm on Comcast cable.
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels

Here try this, then punch in your zip code and a listing of unencrypted QAM channels will follow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5.1 /forum/post/15586041

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels

Here try this, then punch in your zip code and a listing of unencrypted QAM channels will follow.

Thanks, Johnny. This is very interesting. Some of the numbers don't look quite right, but I'll try them and see what I get. Do you know how often that list is updated?

·
Registered
456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Mountain /forum/post/15586099

Thanks, Johnny. This is very interesting. Some of the numbers don't look quite right, but I'll try them and see what I get. Do you know how often that list is updated?

No i don't, probably depends on the cable provider. I have a friend thats with Time Warner Cable that was receiving TLC HD, Disney HD, Universal HD, and National Geo HD in the clear but is now scrambled as of a couple weeks ago. Primarly QAM only offers your local HD channels and maybe a couple other bonus channels like TBS HD, Discovery. And then it will also provide most if not all your regular SD channels. In my opinion not worth the trouble going without a cable box. It got to be a headache for me and I broke down for the HD DVR and i'm never turning back!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we seem to get everything we are interested in w/o the cable box, including ESPN, ESPN2, all local HD, Disney, TLC, Disc, Golf, USA, ...all in HD.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:

Not nearly often enough. Most AVS members have found that web site not accurate.

As noted, lists don't exist here because the cableco's change QAM locations so often.

Quote:
Well we seem to get everything we are interested in w/o the cable box, including ESPN, ESPN2, all local HD, Disney, TLC, Disc, Golf, USA, ...all in HD.

Are you sure you're getting HD? Comcast corporate policy is to encrypt all HD, except local HD.

Does your HDTV have a stretch mode? Is it off?

·
Registered
897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15586815

Not nearly often enough. Most AVS members have found that web site not accurate.

As noted, lists don't exist here because the cableco's change QAM locations so often.

Are you sure you're getting HD? Comcast corporate policy is to encrypt all HD, except local HD.

Does your HDTV have a stretch mode? Is it off?

One addition: Does your TV show 720p or 1080i using the Display or Info button on your remote? If it shows 480i it isn't HD.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:

...Do you know how often that list is updated?

Quite often. I just checked mine again and it was updated a couple of minutes ago. Look at your public access or TV Guide channel for date and time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts