When I learned that Disney/Pixar's Finding Dory—the sequel to Finding Nemo, which was released 13 years ago—would be graded and presented in Dolby Vision high dynamic range (HDR), I knew I had to go. And because it would be followed by Independence Day: Resurgence in Dolby Vision a week later, I knew I had to see it as soon as I could at my local Dolby Cinema. So I went today—and it was well worth the effort!

Finding Dory tells the story of Dory (voiced by Ellen DeGeneres), a blue-tang fish with a short-term memory problem who nevertheless helped Marlin the clown fish (Albert Brooks) find his son Nemo (Alexander Gould in the original, Hayden Rolence in the sequel) in Finding Nemo. Now, it's Dory's turn to get lost in a quest to find her loving parents Jenny (Diane Keaton) and Charlie (Eugene Levy), whom she's mostly forgotten—along with how she got separated from them and where they lived—until some deep early memories are triggered. It's a delightful story with lots of humor, though there are a few too many false resolutions near the end for my taste.

The HDR imagery was superb, with deep blacks (including interstitials that completely disappeared), excellent detail in the dark scenes (such as when Dory is in the pipes below the aquarium), and high luminance in the bright scenes along with gorgeous colors. All of this results in a high-contrast image that's a joy to look at.

As usual, after the movie, I stepped into one of the conventional theaters showing it, and the image was quite dull by comparison. I even caught one of the interstitials, which was gray, and not very uniform, either.

The Atmos soundtrack was very good, with the sound effects and music extending overhead and to the sides and rear as needed. For example, the sound was all around during the ride with the sea turtles. However, the soundtrack didn't extend out into the room all the time, and it didn't call attention to itself, which is actually a good thing. Also, the volume levels were quite reasonable: Leq (average RMS level over the entire length of the movie plus trailers) = 88.9 dBZ (flat), 80.4 dBA, 87.1 dBC; Lmax (maximum 1-second RMS level) = 116.5 dBZ; L10 (level exceeded 10% of the time) = 89.1 dBZ; L50 (level exceeded 50% of the time) = 77.9 dBZ.

I highly recommend Finding Dory for kids—and the kid in all of us. And if you live near one of the Dolby Cinema locations (for a list, click here ), see it there by all means; the extra cost is well worth it in my opinion. But be sure to go before next Friday, when Independence Day: Resurgence will presumably open in most if not all Dolby Cinemas.