AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm now growing up from a HTIB setup to an actual speaker system. I moved into my house in September of 2007 and the HT is a room that is about 15'x18'. My TV is a 42" 1080p LCD at it is located in the center of one of the long walls. My couch is directly opposite from it and probably about 13' in the sitting location. I have an Onkyo-606 receiver with my cable box and PS3 connected via HDMI and the receiver hooked up to the TV through HDMI. The PQ is phenomenal which is why I've decided to now work on the AQ.

I initially had a set of Midiland S4-8200 speakers which used to be my computer speakers but have done an okay job as my HT speakers. A colleague of mine moved in a couple months ago when he needed a place to stay, and he is a huge audiophile so he got me looking into my speakers. He had a spare 18" Dayton Audio Quatro subwoofer driver with a 250 watt Amp to go with it. We spent a few hours and finished building it and it has now replaced the old subwoofer. IT SOUNDS AMAZING! After hearing the subwoofer and listening to sounds that I didn't know existed in my DVDs, I knew I had to get better speakers.

I'm doing this somewhat slowly, and started out by getting the Dayton Audio RS621BK speaker kits for the front right and left. This should give me a good start on building speakers so when I go and get my surrounds I can buy the parts and build them fully from scratch.

My question now is what to do for a center channel. I'm not in any rush to get the surrounds upgraded since the sound coming out of them is typically not major sound but only for ambience. I know the front left and right will sound great, but I'm a bit worried about how the center will now sound pretty crappy.

I'm sort of looking for suggestions for a built center channel that I should purchase which would match the sound coming out of the left/right speakers and not cost a whole lot. Are they any speakers out there you guys would reccomend?

·
Registered
750 Posts
can you use a third speaker that is the same as the L and R you are going to build? That would work as a center. Does your space permit that?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what my roommate was suggesting as he said that i probably wouldn't be able to notice the differences between the speaker vertically or horizontally. He also suggested that I just buy the parts that are used in the left/right speakers and build an enclosure that will suit the needs for the center. I'll probably be able to make a final decision once the tax refund comes in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts