Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group,

I am having a new hosue built with a home run of all cat5 and rj6 wires. The company hasn't made everything pretty yet, so now, in the enclosure, it looks like a big mess of wires.

I'm kinda thinking that they will not label the wires, i.e. what room they go to. Is there any easy way to test this out other than the trial and error method? I remember from my brief networking days that the techs had a receiver and transmitter that they plugged into the rj45 port to tell which wire was which ont eh ethernet network at that hospital. Anything similar for coax? How much are those testers, anyway? I guess that would work for all of my cat5 runs.

Thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a Progressive toner / probe set similar to the one that QQQ mentioned. Works great. Also will work for testing phone lines (will indicate if the line is wired with correct polarity).

A great feature of an inductive probe is that you don't have to physically touch the tip to the wire -- only need to get it close.

I paid quite a bit less than the price at Phonegeeks. Look around at telecom supply houses or do a google search if you want to find a better deal.

Regards

BB80301

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same problem. I made a poor man's toner, actually two, one for the phone/data (RJ11/RJ45), and one for the RJ6. From Rad Shack, I bought two 9v battery clips. To one I wired an RJ6 connector. To the other I spliced the cut-off end of a phone patch cord (RJ11, which will also plug into the center of an RJ45). These are the transmitters, they just transmit 9 VDC.

I also bought a small pezo beeper that works with 9V DC, and attached it to probes, actually just two solid wires.

When it came time to wire up one of the rooms, I just connect the 9V battery to the right transmitter, plug it in to the phone, data, or video line, and then go probe the wires in the wiring closet (cut end of RJ6's, or on the 110 punchdown block for data / phone. Can't miss the nice BEEP!

Works great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.