AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a LG Combo drive I use it for Blu Ray and HDDVD's. I have never had a problem with Blu Rays ever, but with the HDDVD's I own I can't seem to find a piece of software that will play them without problems.

I have PowerDVD 7.3 that came with my drive, but I experience heavy stuttering through out the film, even on brand new disks.

I tried TMT (Total Media Theater) however I get popping on the audio track and a little halting of the video here and there.

Is there anything I should be doing that would make my playback better? What I've been thinking that because HDDVD is a dead format noone ever made a good set of software to play HDVDS well.

Also I am running a Q6600, 4 gigs of ram, Windows 7 64 bit, and a Geforce GTX 260

Anyway if anyone has solved these problems I'd like to hear from you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't have a fix but I am running Powerdvd 7.3 (straight install from the disc that came with my combo drive) also and it plays HD-DVD's and Blu-rays for me just fine. no stuttering or jerkiness. I have a much slower computer and graphics card than you. I am running XP also.

My guess its a driver issue or windows 7 issue. I think the PowerDVD software is just fine. I have not updated PowerDVD even though it tells me a newer version is available. I remember reading somewhere else here about the update causing problems and advising against it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjam /forum/post/16962943

I own a LG Combo drive I use it for Blu Ray and HDDVD's. I have never had a problem with Blu Rays ever, but with the HDDVD's I own I can't seem to find a piece of software that will play them without problems.

I have PowerDVD 7.3 that came with my drive, but I experience heavy stuttering through out the film, even on brand new disks.

I tried TMT (Total Media Theater) however I get popping on the audio track and a little halting of the video here and there.

Is there anything I should be doing that would make my playback better? What I've been thinking that because HDDVD is a dead format noone ever made a good set of software to play HDVDS well.

Also I am running a Q6600, 4 gigs of ram, Windows 7 64 bit, and a Geforce GTX 260

Anyway if anyone has solved these problems I'd like to hear from you.

I have the combo drive and experience "the look and sound of perfect" from the bundled PowerDVD 7.3. I do not use the latest version of PowerDVD, but rather, one released last fall.

E6300, 4GB RAM, Vista x64, Sapphire 4550.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try that now --- thanks. What do you guys do if you play a newer Blu Ray and it needs to update to play? Just use TMT?

It worked fine once, now it gives me an error message:

Cannot initialize player, please make sure your system meets minimum system requirement criteria.

What is that all about, I've run the advisor tool and I meet the requirements.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjam /forum/post/16964318

I will try that now --- thanks. What do you guys do if you play a newer Blu Ray and it needs to update to play? Just use TMT?

No. The essential software for trouble-free playback of both HD-DVD and Blu-ray is AnyDVD-HD. Think Slysoft, not Arcsoft! Nearly all the troubles with Blu-ray playback are due to DRM, especially the notorious BD+, and AnyDVD-HD strips that out.

Quote:
It worked fine once, now it gives me an error message:

Cannot initialize player, please make sure your system meets minimum system requirement criteria.

What is that all about, I've run the advisor tool and I meet the requirements.

Hmm ... although your machine would run rings around mine, one key difference is that you are using a nVidia gaming card and I am using an ATI HTPC card.

I assembled my Foxconn G45-based E6400 and installed the software without any special tweaking. And HD-DVD worked out of the box. Last night, I played back "Galaxina" without a hitch.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/16968635

Definitely a driver issue with Win 7. I couldn't for the life of me ever get PowerDVD7.3 to work properly with win 7 64. Works flawlessly with Vista 64 though

My Vostro 220S played Blu-ray fine under Win 7 64, but I didn't try it with HD-DVD.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
What software is available to play HD DVD?

PowerDVD stopped supporting with version 7.*

I know there's ANYDVD-HD.

There's WINDVD, but did they stop supporting it? I looked on the Corel site and WinDVD 2010 says nothing about HD DVD support in its features section.

Same with TOTAL MEDIA THEATRE. Do the current versions support HD DVD at all? Maybe I should pic up older software off eBay or Amazon.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Did they decide to add multichannel to the PowerDVD that came w/ the combo drives? It was listed as 2CH, but I just did an update and although the box says '2CH' in a scrolling text box on the player, during playback there's a box in the top corner that says 'Audio
olby Digital 5.1'. If this is not crippled to 2CH anymore, that's good news.

Edit: But it is showing 256kbps audio. :-/

·
Registered
4,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 /forum/post/17557554

What software is available to play HD DVD?

PowerDVD stopped supporting with version 7.*

I know there's ANYDVD-HD.

There's WINDVD, but did they stop supporting it? I looked on the Corel site and WinDVD 2010 says nothing about HD DVD support in its features section.

Same with TOTAL MEDIA THEATRE. Do the current versions support HD DVD at all? Maybe I should pic up older software off eBay or Amazon.

Last I read Total Media Theater 3 still supported HD DVD. However, I don't see it on the website anymore.

Nero definitely stopped selling their plugin.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/17557796

Last I read Total Media Theater 3 still supported HD DVD. However, I don't see it on the website anymore.

I am using TMT3 with HD-DVD ... if they were going to drop support, I'd suspect it would be with the next version, not this one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
new poster here, only decided to because i have a problem, as many of you pointed out about HD-HDVd playback it sucks, i know TMT3 will play them back. downloaded the latest 3 platnium trial and they work, however it says i need to upgrade an audio codec, will buying the full version give me this codec thats needed or will i have to pay more money? all i want is a way to watch my HDDVDS on my computer
, right now i gotta watch them on my xbox.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have had problems with several versions of PowerDVD 7.3 on Win7, far more than on XP, especially later updated versions. I am now using build 3516 with no trouble on Win7 and 4617a with no trouble on XP. I also use AnyDVD. YMMV

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunnill /forum/post/16967014

No. The essential software for trouble-free playback of both HD-DVD and Blu-ray is AnyDVD-HD. Think Slysoft, not Arcsoft! Nearly all the troubles with Blu-ray playback are due to DRM, especially the notorious BD+, and AnyDVD-HD strips that out.

Hmm ... although your machine would run rings around mine, one key difference is that you are using a nVidia gaming card and I am using an ATI HTPC card.

I assembled my Foxconn G45-based E6400 and installed the software without any special tweaking. And HD-DVD worked out of the box. Last night, I played back "Galaxina" without a hitch.

Arcsoft is the way to go (version 3 still works fine for HD DVDs). Most people don't want the hassle of ripping movies onto their hard drive; they want to pop a movie in and watch. It takes forever and uses loads of storage (especially with HD formats).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.