AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I have another thread in the general HT section going here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=894157

I thought I'd post my specifics here as I am in the process of purchasing a sub for my theater room.

For those who don't want to read through my (long) thread here is a quick synopsis:

Main use of HT (ranked):

Xbox 360 (halo 3 mostly)

Movies

TV

Music (little to none)

Room: 16x9

Speakers:

Fronts: Klipsch Synergy SLX On-Wall Speakers - $304 for pair (woot again)

Center: Klipsch RVX-42 - $210 (ebay) (waiting for delivery)

Rears: looking at a pair of RSX-5 for $200 (craigslist)

Sub: looking at:

SVS PB10-NSD ~$480 shipped

Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 ~$400 (I was looking at this so I could keep everything Klipsch but now am moving away from this idea)

HSU STF1 ~$300

Here are my thoughts on buying a sub:

So far I have the 2 fronts set up and that's all I'm getting my audio from. I noticed that they are a little harsh on the high end so I figured I would go with the synergy series sub (assuming they complement eachother well). Since then I have read that keeping the same manufacturer isn't too important and that getting a good, quality sub is more important. I've looked at the craigsub ratings and read some reviews on the SVS PB10. I am a little wary about spending $480 on a sub and this is why: I think it will be too loud. As I believe I stated before I live in a condo. The walls in my basement are separated by concrete and are pretty well insulated but I'm still worried. My neighbor is an old lady that I don't know too well (maybe she can't hear after all..) but I don't want to annoy her. Am I better off getting a cheaper, more mainstream sub? I'm worried about spending ~$480 on a lower end performance sub and then having to turn it way down nullifying its worth.

As far as the subs that I'm looking at go I'm leaning towards the SVS or the HSU. I've heard that the HSU is geared more towards music and I don't listen to much music. If the two prices were switched I think I would jump on the SVS right away. (BTW I have considered the eD subs but don't want to wait for them to build it.)

I don't like paying retail and its tough to find these performance subs on ebay/ubid/craigslist. I will however pay retail/direct if you guys convince me its worth it!

Thanks,

Matt

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by szafim /forum/post/12992014

Hey folks,

I have another thread in the general HT section going here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=894157

I thought I'd post my specifics here as I am in the process of purchasing a sub for my theater room.

For those who don't want to read through my (long) thread here is a quick synopsis:

Main use of HT (ranked):

Xbox 360 (halo 3 mostly)

Movies

TV

Music (little to none)

Room: 16x9

Speakers:

Fronts: Klipsch Synergy SLX On-Wall Speakers - $304 for pair (woot again)

Center: Klipsch RVX-42 - $210 (ebay) (waiting for delivery)

Rears: looking at a pair of RSX-5 for $200 (craigslist)

Sub: looking at:

SVS PB10-NSD ~$480 shipped

Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 ~$400 (I was looking at this so I could keep everything Klipsch but now am moving away from this idea)

HSU STF1 ~$300

Here are my thoughts on buying a sub:

So far I have the 2 fronts set up and that's all I'm getting my audio from. I noticed that they are a little harsh on the high end so I figured I would go with the synergy series sub (assuming they complement eachother well). Since then I have read that keeping the same manufacturer isn't too important and that getting a good, quality sub is more important. I've looked at the craigsub ratings and read some reviews on the SVS PB10. I am a little wary about spending $480 on a sub and this is why: I think it will be too loud. As I believe I stated before I live in a condo. The walls in my basement are separated by concrete and are pretty well insulated but I'm still worried. My neighbor is an old lady that I don't know too well (maybe she can't hear after all..) but I don't want to annoy her. Am I better off getting a cheaper, more mainstream sub? I'm worried about spending ~$480 on a lower end performance sub and then having to turn it way down nullifying its worth.

As far as the subs that I'm looking at go I'm leaning towards the SVS or the HSU. I've heard that the HSU is geared more towards music and I don't listen to much music. If the two prices were switched I think I would jump on the SVS right away. (BTW I have considered the eD subs but don't want to wait for them to build it.)

I don't like paying retail and its tough to find these performance subs on ebay/ubid/craigslist. I will however pay retail/direct if you guys convince me its worth it!

Thanks,

Matt

Most bang for the buck are the internet direct sub companies. A good sub does not mean that it will be louder, that is what the volume knob is for. It will have more power there if you need it and it will not have to work as hard to produce the same bass.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Quote:

I think it will be too loud.....I'm worried about spending ~$480 on a lower end performance sub and then having to turn it way down nullifying its worth.

No matter if you spend $100 or $10,000, your sub should be calibrated to the same level as your main speakers. A higher quality sub will deliver lower lows (most of the time), as well as lower distortion since it doesn't have to work as hard producing bass. That's the reason there are nut cases in the DIY section of the forum installing eight 18" subs in their theater room.

Quote:

I've heard that the HSU is geared more towards music and I don't listen to much music.

You want a sub that is accurate. If it is accurate, it will sound good with both movies and music. And in your case, games. You have to take a lot of comments with a grain of salt. You don't know where a person's background is. If they have been used to listening to bloated bass in a car, they can find that a flat frequency response sounds "flat". It's really about training your ear to know what sounds good and what doesn't. My subs were overly boomy when I installed them. I added an EQ to flatten the response. Even though I knew they sounded "better" it took a day or two to get used to it. A sub should not call attention to itself.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You can block the port in the SVS PB-10. That alone will limit it's output somewhat and at the same time give you the best sound quality.

Klipsch subs are unspectacular and matching brands is unimportant as speakers and subs cover different parts of the spectrum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I think I will go with the SVS. What "Port" are you suggesting I block Jesse S? Is it that big hole where the air comes out? (As you can see I don't know much about subs...I just want quality gear

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also another quick question:

Doesn't the sound from a sub travel through walls better than the frequencies from the other speakers? I understand that lower freqs. have longer wavelengths...and I think that larger waves more easily pass through walls. Is this correct?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by szafim /forum/post/12997597

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I think I will go with the SVS. What "Port" are you suggesting I block Jesse S? Is it that big hole where the air comes out? (As you can see I don't know much about subs...I just want quality gear

SVS sends blockers with it's multi-port subs. That way you can change the tuning frequency. Blocking the port on a PB-10 will change the characteristics of the sound completely. It goes from a 4th order ported box to a 2nd order sealed. Not something you want to do unless it is a move authorized by SVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szafim /forum/post/12997795

Also another quick question:

Doesn't the sound from a sub travel through walls better than the frequencies from the other speakers? I understand that lower freqs. have longer wavelengths...and I think that larger waves more easily pass through walls. Is this correct?

100% correct. That's why you here the cars "booming" down the street. The interior can easily contain the highs but not the bass. My subs can easily shake light fixtures at the other end of the house as well as send vibrations through the entire 5,000+sf foundation.

-Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts