AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SFF HTPC

Credits go to wiretap from [H] for showing this build first before i built it.

Case and PSU: APEX MI-100 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply

Motherboard: JetWay JNC62K AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz

RAM: Patriot 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 - Shipped

DVD: LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM

(total is like - $739; take out the Blu-ray player and use a 22 dollar regular DVD you got yourself a 600 dollar HTPC)

Software

Nvidia Driver 175.16

32 bit Vista Home Premium

MediaPortal V1.0.0.0.0 RC1

CCCP - h.264 disabled

CoreAVC for h.264

Maybe it should be called Shoe Box HTPC

SFF complete at least the building part..now the MediaPortal part to come next

Yay Motherboard!

Yay it comes with a mini cpu cooler!

smooth sailing

OMG no comment on wire management: note to self i'm not building an SFF anymore.

Blu-Ray drive was tough to put in. this thing was thicker than the usual drive

Mission Complete!

All finished! the HDMI Video/Audio works well to my suprise.

Hellboy is an extremely heavy movie but it still plays really smooth.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice build. I like the small size of it.

Due to your mention of MediaPortal, I went to their site to check it out. It may be good software and free software, but as anal as the company is about DRM and insulting to their potential customers, I will use something else, even if I have to buy it. It's not worth putting up with the BS coming out of that website and it reflects the attitude of the company management. A company is supposed to be there to help me, not the other way around. If they have to act the way the do because their servers are in Germany, as they said, then move them! They lost one customer because of it. How many more have they lost? (Maybe MediaPortal will see this and consider my suggestions and complaints. I won't be using their products but maybe future users may benefit from any effect generated by them. Maybe not.)

Anyway, nice job of building your system! Thanks for posting the pictures so we could see it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! Don't know much of what you're talking about, sorry about the poor service you got(what's drm?). main reason I got media portal is because it was easier to configure for h.264 playback with options of turning on/off subtitles with MCE remote. I'm still kinda new to the HTPC part of computers and configuring.

With the Omaura HTPC i'm building(still waiting on parts), i'm hoping to use a more elite type frontend. I'm still having bad experiences with the Vista center but with a fresh start maybe i can get it working right or another frontend. i gotta do some research.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How is the heat dissipation for this case?

Are you considering recording CPU heat after an hour of 1080P mkv/ts/x264 and 1080P BD movies?

Im thinking of building a similiar setup with DG945FC w/ e5200 (65W) but is a bit concern about heat.

·
Registered
369 Posts
do u playback any 1080p mkv and how much cpu usage do u get?Have u got any hardware acceleration working on it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts