AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 3rd HTPC build and first blu-ray DVD player based system. The Lite-On DVD player came with Cyberlink Suite which includes PowerDVD 7. I am using the HDMI output and the audio and video and all works well including digital audio out and BD video as goood as my PS3.

What will I gain if anything, by upgrading to powerDVD 8?

I did notice that the area for standard DVD enhancements is grayed out in PDVD 7. Will this become availabe in vsn 8 and does it make a difference in the video quality of a standard DVD? I have been using ZoomPlayer and FFdshow through a VGA output with my previous HTPC and was very satisfied with the standard DVD tweeked results. I'm not as happy using the HDMI output to my projector with ZP and FFshow. I've played a lot using ZP and ffdshow and the standard DVD does't seem to be as sharp and the contrast is a bit harsher than with my previous build.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am mistaken, the audio isn't correct. I updated from PDVD 7 to 7.3 and it gave me more option and I was able to use the HDMI audio setup. However no DD or DD True HD. No data is going to the subwoofer. I even changed to SPDIF out. I now get DD on a Blu-ray disc but still no subwoofer. What gives? Does PDVD 8 fix this issue? I tried a different language on the BD (Indiana Jones) and did get DD and the subwoofer did work both using HDMI or setup with SPDIF. Standard DVD's are OK and DD 5.1 works perfectly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.