AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finished our star ceiling over the weekend. Took a few days after work last week as well as this whole weekend for my wife and I to finish it. We purchased an 800 strand kit from wiedamark and used (8) 1.5” rigid foam boards cut down to equal size (totaling 256 sf). Our first board had to be redone as the Elmer’s glue ran down the holes and pooled up in the felt, leaving a “crusty nipple”. Threw that felt out and started over but were able to reuse the board. We used permanent gorilla tape to secure the fibers.

I put small metal tabs separating the left/right and front/back of the room. This helped make sure all the panels could be centered; the tabs cant be seen when finished.

Getting ahold of the spray adhesive was quite the journey as 3M’s 78 spray glue for foam was nowhere to be found online or in stores (thanks covid). I purchased 4 different types of glues and tested them on the foam to see if any were acceptable. Surprisingly, super 77 was the best of them all; when sprayed from 8” away, it didn’t dissolve the foam at all (at <1” it did).

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Nice job. Looks great and looked like a lot of work for both of you. Now you can both lay on a couch, look up at the stars and be proud of the job you both did 😎

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great job.. Just curious.. how did u guys mount the foam board to the ceiling? I initially were going to use rotofast fastners but due to the rigidity of the Foamular, I couldn't use them and I am right now just mounting them via cabinet screws and washers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great job.. Just curious.. how did u guys mount the foam board to the ceiling? I initially were going to use rotofast fastners but due to the rigidity of the Foamular, I couldn't use them and I am right now just mounting them via cabinet screws and washers.
I kicked around several different scenarios over the last few months, but settled on washers/screws. Embedded a washer on the felt side, and put a 3/4" spacer on the back side (didnt want to crush the fibers). I initially used 3" drywall screws as they would be easier to conceal, but they didnt penetrate too far into the ceiling drywall and fell just short of hitting the ceiling joists. Decided to use the only 4" screws I could find, but havent yet concealed them. We're thinking either A) see if we can cut a slit in the fabric and slide them under it, or B) paint them flat black which worked surprisingly well.

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
Getting ahold of the spray adhesive was quite the journey as 3M’s 78 spray glue for foam was nowhere to be found online or in stores
The craziest things are either missing or way overpriced right now...good job!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Really? I bought some of the 3M Super 77 at a home depot a while back.. wasn't aware these were hard to get now..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really? I bought some of the 3M Super 77 at a home depot a while back.. wasn't aware these were hard to get now..
Im seeing more super 77 now, but good luck with specialty adhesives like the ones meant for foam.

All in, ive got about 35 hours in the build, with a few additional hours searching for glues.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That looks like it was a big project, but it looks amazing, great work!

I've been working on some foam board diffuser panels for my room, and had some glue challenges as well. Man, if I could have found the 3M spray 78 it would have been so much easier! I ended up using PL 300 specifically for foamboard. It took a longer time to cure than I would have liked, and it was tough to keep pressure on the small pieces, but it did the job I guess.

!lepage-pl-300-foam-board-construction-adhesive-home-hardware-a.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts