AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally did it this weekend, running wires up the attic down outside wall etc. Very clean, no wires can be seen. After everything is done, sat back and tried a couple of movies on dd pl2X. And that's it?? After my skull was almost split hitting boards and nails up in the attic.... Guess I was expecting much but since I got the hardware to do it, I just went ahead and did.


I have to clarify that I had a 5.1 system and since I have extra speakers...... I know, I was expecting too much...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18225890


Finally did it this weekend, running wires up the attic down outside wall etc. Very clean, no wires can be seen. After everything is done, sat back and tried a couple of movies on dd pl2X. And that's it?? After my skull was almost split hitting boards and nails up in the attic.... Guess I was expecting much but since I got the hardware to do it, I just went ahead and did.


I have to clarify that I had a 5.1 system and since I have extra speakers...... I know, I was expecting too much...

What type of speakers, receiver, and sub do you have?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/18225894


What type of speakers, receiver, and sub do you have?


Speakers, Infinity primus (360 fronts, c250 center, 150 surrounds, 140 rears, ps10 sub)... Marantz sr7002.


Don't get me wrong though, the sound is fantastic, even when just at 5.1. I just got an extra pair of 140 so might as well use it. I just didn't get that "WOW, 7.1 ROCKS" kind of reaction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Hard to find source (most BD are still 5.1) with 7.1 audio anyway...


What else can u do with sr7002 with 7 speakers? Option for presence speakers?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalz /forum/post/18225917


Hard to find source (most BD are still 5.1) with 7.1 audio anyway...


What else can u do with sr7002 with 7 speakers? Option for presence speakers?

I was trying it. Got the hardware, so might as well. I mean you know. I have to try it for myself as I have read debates over here with regards to 7.1 system is not really needed. I just tried it on some scenes from movies. I'll try it on some more tomorrow. I guess my ears were still ringing from setting audyssey up anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,090 Posts
Did you move your side-surround speakers, too?


Remember that their positions should be slightly different depending on whether or not you have back-surround speakers.


Back-surround is primarily for ambiance. Only a very few movies take advantage of it for directionality or can be post-processed to do so. You might try one that includes helicopter flyovers. Transformers 2 maybe? (I don't have a 7.1 system, so I'm not sure if PL2x works well with that one.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18225890


Finally did it this weekend, running wires up the attic down outside wall etc. Very clean, no wires can be seen. After everything is done, sat back and tried a couple of movies on dd pl2X. And that's it?? After my skull was almost split hitting boards and nails up in the attic.... Guess I was expecting much but since I got the hardware to do it, I just went ahead and did.


I have to clarify that I had a 5.1 system and since I have extra speakers...... I know, I was expecting too much...

Exactly why I'm still running 5.1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Did you re-calibrate the speaker distances/equalization? What were you expecting from the rear speakers? All surround speakers are presence speakers. They are designed to provide ambient sound that simulates being there in the moment. Surround music will have a more pronounced affect than movies. Also, what software did you use for the evaluation? A chick-flick is not going to provide "wow" factor. For that matter, the sound won't be too good, either. Movies with a considerable amount of yappin' will produce 90% of the audio from the center channel speaker. Try a action movie like Terminator Salvation or Star Trek.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I upgraded mine too and I was wondering whether I set it up right or not.

My equipment is as follows: Monitor Audio Gold GS 60s for Front, LCR, GS FX for surrounds and GR10s for Rear surrounds, Velodyne DD12 for a sub. My source is OPPO BDP 83, Toshiba XA2, My receiver is used as a Pre/Pro. Its an Integra DTR 7.7(waiting on my DHC 80.1) and my amps are emotiva XPA-5 for the fronts and the UPA-5 for the surrounds. I am sure I have good equipment and pretty positive that I hooked up them up right.


Is there any Blu Ray that one can use to check 7.1.

Thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18226328


Did you move your side-surround speakers, too?


Remember that their positions should be slightly different depending on whether or not you have back-surround speakers.


Back-surround is primarily for ambiance. Only a very few movies take advantage of it for directionality or can be post-processed to do so. You might try one that includes helicopter flyovers. Transformers 2 maybe? (I don't have a 7.1 system, so I'm not sure if PL2x works well with that one.)

Yes, Selden. Did that as well. And yes, TRT, recalibrated it again using auto-cal. Like I said, I may still have my ears ringing as I recalibrated it six point setting (I guess the max for the sr7002) and you know how those loud chirps sound like. Just tried it on a couple of scenes from movies, Mr and Mrs Smith, UP, and concert dvd's -Beyonce I'm Yours
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
In my experience, going from 5.1, the improvement you notice depends on the content.


* The start of Master & Commander, when the camera moves through the ship at night - 7.1 in my room made a big difference: It sounded like i was really in the ship, with sounds coming from everywhere. Not some diffuse ambient noise, but what seemed to be sounds originating from everywhere around me.

* Toy Story 2, when Al is in his chicken suit on the phone and then leaves to go to the store, the camera pans around, and ends up with him shutting the door when the door is behind you. With 7.1, the panning was much better than with 5.1, and the sound of the door slamming shut was anchored where it should be. In my old 5.1 setup it sounded good, but it was much less "pinpointy", if that makes any sense.

* Star Wars - Attack of the Clones (i think it was?) where it opens with the silver space ship approaching the planet and then landing - 7.1 again made it sound like the damn thing was actually coming in from the rear of the room and flying right overhead!. 5.1 was more "fuzzy".

* Wall-E - At one point Wall-E comes racing onto the screen from left-rear, and i swear each time it starts it startles me because its sounds like something's in the room at my 8 o'clock position.


(This was all on good ol' DVD, with my receiver creating the 7.1.)


For the majority of movies though, the effect of 7.1 vs 5.1 is mostly subtle in my experience. But there are those moments in various movies where the 7.1 does seem to pay off. That's just my experience though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan /forum/post/18227013


In my experience, going from 5.1, the improvement you notice depends on the content.


* The start of Master & Commander, when the camera moves through the ship at night - 7.1 in my room made a big difference: It sounded like i was really in the ship, with sounds coming from everywhere. Not some diffuse ambient noise, but what seemed to be sounds originating from everywhere around me.

* Toy Story 2, when Al is in his chicken suit on the phone and then leaves to go to the store, the camera pans around, and ends up with him shutting the door when the door is behind you. With 7.1, the panning was much better than with 5.1, and the sound of the door slamming shut was anchored where it should be. In my old 5.1 setup it sounded good, but it was much less "pinpointy", if that makes any sense.

* Star Wars - Attack of the Clones (i think it was?) where it opens with the silver space ship approaching the planet and then landing - 7.1 again made it sound like the damn thing was actually coming in from the rear of the room and flying right overhead!. 5.1 was more "fuzzy".

* Wall-E - At one point Wall-E comes racing onto the screen from left-rear, and i swear each time it starts it startles me because its sounds like something's in the room at my 8 o'clock position.


(This was all on good ol' DVD, with my receiver creating the 7.1.)


For the majority of movies though, the effect of 7.1 vs 5.1 is mostly subtle in my experience. But there are those moments in various movies where the 7.1 does seem to pay off. That's just my experience though

That's been my experience. Ambience is hugely increased in many scenes and panning is much better. This is with the new HD codecs though.


I watched "9" last night and holy crap does it have a lot of rear ambience information. Sounded great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts
The vast majority of people state the 5.1 -vs- 6.1 -vs- 7.1 as a fairly subtle difference.


True 6.1 or 7.1 source may or may not help illustrate the differences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
I've had the same experience. I have an older AVR (Onkyo 605) that doesn't apply Dolby Pro Logic or other processing to convert 5.1 to 7.1, so for me, its even more of a "meh".

But, there are some disks worth trying that might make you feel better about all the work you went through. As mentioned earlier, Master and Commander on Blu Ray has some of the best audio you can find, and is a native 7.1 disk. Also, Pan's Labyrinth and Hairspray on BR feature some well-designed 7.1 audio tracks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,428 Posts
My 5.1->7.1 upgrade yielded a noticeable improvement, but I think it was in part due to the fact that all of my speakers are monopole (so that going to 7.1 was a lot like what swapping the surrounds for dipoles would have been) and partly due to the fact that my HT space is open at the back, so the back-surrounds help to better define the space.


I'm glad I did it, but I'm also glad I didn't spend a lot of time or money on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/18227849


My 5.1->7.1 upgrade yielded a noticeable improvement, but I think it was in part due to the fact that all of my speakers are monopole (so that going to 7.1 was a lot like what swapping the surrounds for dipoles would have been) and partly due to the fact that my HT space is open at the back, so the back-surrounds help to better define the space.


I'm glad I did it, but I'm also glad I didn't spend a lot of time or money on it.

ditto. ain't no beryllium in my back surround speakers...the effect is (not surprisingly) more apparent in the rear row of seating with 7.1 ch content. Things flying overhead are somewhat more believable but otherwise i have to agree it's kind of a ho-hum upgrade...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,683 Posts
I think there's an expectation that 7.1 should make everything sound better all the time, and, of course, it will not. It has the potential to give a better sonic experience if one has it set up correctly, has the seating in the right place, and has source material that can take advantage of it.


Otherwise, you're just adding ambience, which is not intended to be dramatic or to call attention to itself. In fact, if there were a dramatic change with everything, there'd be some question as to whether or not the installation and calibration were correct.


Whether you're using PLIIx, Logic7, or whatever, you'll still only get what's in the source material. It's presented in a much more pleasing and natural-sounding way IME, but it's not gong to knock your socks off with lots of discrete signals from the rear because they're not there.


In the uncommon but increasingly available 7.1 audio tracks that are coming out, the difference can be incredible. In addition, a sensational TrueHD or DTS HD MA 5.1 mix will respond marvelously in the rear surrounds when PLIIx or L7 is engaged as I discovered with Master and Commander, mentioned already by Gertjan. The heretofore excellent 5.1 soundtrack on the DVD now sounds weak compared to the lossless HD soundtrack on the BD in 7.1 with L7 engaged.


For real 7.1 mixes like Chris Botti's concert, it's phenomenal.


At this point, your upgrade is more about what it can do than what it is doing. Be confident knowing that you're well-prepped for those sources that really can make 7.1 a must-have investment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,970 Posts
it's the source, stupid.


Not insulting anyone, just changing up a familiar 90's quote. Well, the source, assuming of course that your loudspeaker array is properly installed.


The effects of properly implemented 7.1 are real. It just takes the correct media and arrangement to extract them, is all. And a larger room helps too- to better create a more diffuse sound field.


Really, in a bigger room especially, I couldn't envision ever going back to 5.1


2 surround speakers, say in a 30X30 room, just doesn't cut the mustard in my experience.


YMMV.


James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18225905


I just didn't get that "WOW, 7.1 ROCKS" kind of reaction.

And you won't. The most noticable difference is going from 2 speakers to a surround set-up. After that, adding more surrounds will yield an incremental difference.


Aside from the demos Gertjan mentioned, also try: chapter 11 of 'Mission to Mars' (where the mission commander's voice circles the room), and chapter 16 of 'Blade II' (lots of side-vs-rear directionality, listen to the entire chapter). Both DVDs (not Blu-rays) highlight the advantages of 7.1-speaker playback (especially for sources that aren't 7.1 channels).
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top