AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finding out the cost of Stewart Firehawk Micro-Perf I decided to go with Da-Lite Audio Vision fabric. I'm sure the Stewart material is nice but the raw material was going to cost more than my projector (Panasonic 300). So, to make my screen, I bought a 61" X 106" piece of Audio Vision fabric with no border and used it to make a 58.25" X 103.75" (119" diagonal) 16:9 screen. For the frame I used 1" X 4" Douglas Fir for the main structure and then added a 1"X2" strip all the way around the back of the frame to create a lip. In the corners I used metal angle brackets and metal straps to tie everything together. I couldn't use a back board since I have a speaker behind the screen so between the metal straps at the corners and a combination of nails and wood glue I got the frame to an acceptably sturdy state. To give the frame a finnished look I wrapped the frame in black stretch velvet and put the seams at corners in a diagonal fashion. It looks pretty darn clean especially considering my weak fabric skills, I have my wife to thank for helping out big time with that part. After the frame was wrapped with velvet I stretched the screen across the back of the frame, attaching inside the lip I had created on the back with staples. It was pretty easy to get all the wrinkles out, but on the final corner I did have to back a few staples out and re-staple to get the fabric completely flat. Finnally we mounted the screen by hanging it from the ceiling about 3" out from the wall using eyebolts and turnbuckles to give it a modern/industrial appearance. The extra 3" out form the wall was to clear an obstruction in the ceiling but as a bonus it keep the screen a little farther out from the center channel for better sound. Anyway, I did'nt really mean to ramble through all these details but just wanted to let others know that it's possible to put together a really nice screen even as a novice (I am VERY much a novice) for a good price. I have spent well under $500 for a screen that I'd be willing to bet looks as good or better than your basic store bought frame.

·
Registered
129 Posts
how does the l300u look on the screen. I have heard that LCD can suffer on such screens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.