AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read all the other FiOS and HTPC posts, they're all old and don't know if the technology has changed. Let me tell you what I WANT to do, and perhaps someone can tell me a better way or a different way?

I have a Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 from a gaming system I used to use. I love these speakers. LOVE! I would like to use them for a home theatre setup without a receiver ideally. So since my outdated pc doesn't have many inputs/outputs for audio/video I bought an Encore ENMAB-8CM. The device works when I route audio from a pc to a pc, but when I route it from my FiOS TOSLINK the pc just makes an audio clicking noise. When I change channels it stops clicking for a .5s and then starts again. So it's definitely sending, but I guess it's encoded or something?

SO... I was thinking of getting an HDMI card and an HDMI splitter, to split the signal out from FiOS, 1 to the TV (always muted) and 1 to an Input on the PC... then out through the Klipsch, but I imagine I'd need some piece of software always running to do this too?

There MUST be an easier way to do all this? I mean... I just want to eliminate the need for a receiver and use a computer for all of it... I can't be the only person that's wanted to do this. I just feel like I'm overthinking this whole thing and am missing out on something stupid... like if I could just figure out how to "decode" the audio coming into the USB from the Encore ENMAB-8CM... then I'd be set!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can you change the audio output on the fios box to PCM instead of dolby digital?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I'm aware of, and I wouldn't want too since it gets down-converted to 2ch. I think I might have a solution I'll be trying tonight using AC3 Filter and GraphEdit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The model of Fios box would be helpful as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not all PCM is 2 channel but I understand your problem I just read this post from the Verizon forum . I have Dish so I can only be of limited assistance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After reading about your box I believe you have the only path of decoding the dolby digital. So good luck with Graphedit and AC3 filter. I had forgotten that PCM 5.1 could not pass over optical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts