AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some issues with this ATI external cablecard tuner. Verizon was out the other day to install the cablecard. The tech tried three different cards and could get none to work. I set up the tuner before he arrived and was able to get all the unscrambled Fios channels. However the scrambled channels will not come through after three different cards, the first two were M-cards and the last one which is in there now is a S-card.

I already have another HTPC set up with an ATI internal cable card tuner and it works fine. He took readings at various points along the coax and found no problems. Of course he believes it's the tuners fault. Do you have any ideas of what could be wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Connected how? The FIOS coax is connected to the tuner and it is unscrambling the channels. The PC is also connected via LAN to the the home network with internet access. I have Fios TV, Internet & phone service, nothing else, except an outside antenna which is connected directly to the TV's tuner.

Funny thing is, on the new HTPC, before the cablecard was installed, I could only get the unscrambled local HD channels on 3-1,6-1,10-1, and so on. After the card was installed I got the local HD on 503, 506, 510, etc. plus the SD locals on 003, 006, 010, etc. Makes me think it's the card or it's programming, not the tuner.

·
Registered
624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickXR /forum/post/18144718

Connected how? The FIOS coax is connected to the tuner and it is unscrambling the channels. The PC is also connected via LAN to the the home network with internet access. I have Fios TV, Internet & phone service, nothing else, except an outside antenna which is connected directly to the TV's tuner.

Funny thing is, on the new HTPC, before the cablecard was installed, I could only get the unscrambled local HD channels on 3-1,6-1,10-1, and so on. After the card was installed I got the local HD on 503, 506, 510, etc. plus the SD locals on 003, 006, 010, etc. Makes me think it's the card or it's programming, not the tuner.

It sounds like the programming. The card is downloading the Virtual Channel Table (that why you see 3,6,10 instead of 3-1,6-1,10-1) so I would think the tuner and cablecard is good.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I agree the cards for the two units certainly do not appear to be encoded the same by the cable company since you are only receiving the unencrypted analog and digtial channels with the new tuner and it's cable card.

If you are daring you might try swaping the cable cards between the two units.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.