AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else here had problems with HDTV from Fios. They are coming out again today for another problem I'm having. I normally fall asleep watching TV. Most of the time I will set the sleep so the TV will shut down. But sometimes I forget. Well last night I forgot and when I woke up this morning I had a still image on my new plasma. I turned the set off for about a hour then back on watching TV for about 30minutes then I turned it back off and noticed the same image from night time was still showing in the black screen. This really ticks me off cause I called them about this last week and they had me unplugg everthing for awhile and back in to see if it would reset something and fix it. This will happen in the living room too. The picture will just freeze sometimes there is still audio sometimes not. Both of my boxs are Motoralla's. If anybody has any insight on this it would be great in case the tech over looks something. I know they are having problems w/these boxs the last tech told me as to they had a pile of them back @ the office that were defective. My last box would just shut down for no reason. Man I hope my TV is ok. Wish me luck if anything!

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
From my experience with E*, I can tell you that this is more prone to happen when their is an error in the bitstream that should be trapped in the STB - it isn't and gets passed to the output circuit which then locks that up and it freezes on the last good frame.

This is the first I have heard of it on FIOS, but I clearly think means you are getting errors in your data stream that the STB is not filtering properly (but then again, why do you have the errors in the first place).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they just left. Pretty much replaced everything in the box outside of the house. I guess the splitter was a old style it had a part on it that boosted the signal. I guess with Fios the signal is so strong they did away with that to bring the signal down. I would think it would be the opposite but I'm no tech. Also they kept talking about a possible faulty "611" whatever that is. One tech seemed concered about my SNR jumping from fair to good 19.6 to 20.2. It still does this BTW after everything was replaced. He said as long as it doesn't jump more then one point it's ok. I did get lucky and it frooze while they were here. But so far so good no more freezes. I just hope to hell the burn in goes away on the PANNY in the bedroom. I read on here to loop a DVD for 24hrs to solve this problem so I'm doing that now. Anyone else have any ideas that might help?

·
Registered
23,409 Posts
Let nature take it's course. I read a few posts that indicate that plasmas suffer from "image retention" that will slowly fade over time. Not to be confused with the severity of burn in.....just a glimmer of hope.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull808 /forum/post/0

Well they just left. Pretty much replaced everything in the box outside of the house. I guess the splitter was a old style it had a part on it that boosted the signal. I guess with Fios the signal is so strong they did away with that to bring the signal down. I would think it would be the opposite but I'm no tech. Also they kept talking about a possible faulty "611" whatever that is. One tech seemed concered about my SNR jumping from fair to good 19.6 to 20.2. It still does this BTW after everything was replaced. He said as long as it doesn't jump more then one point it's ok. I did get lucky and it frooze while they were here. But so far so good no more freezes. I just hope to hell the burn in goes away on the PANNY in the bedroom. I read on here to loop a DVD for 24hrs to solve this problem so I'm doing that now. Anyone else have any ideas that might help?

The SNR jumping around might be the cause of the errors that most likely are freezing the picture. If it goes low enough, you will get errors. I don't know the figures for FIOS, but 19-20 for HD on Cable QAM would never work. 32 is about the lowest it will go before you begin to see errors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. My problem is not fixed TV in living room started to shutter alittle. So I stopped the DVD in the bedroom and turned it to the same channel to see if they did it @ the same time. Well the picture frooze again. Called them back and now they want to replace the box's. Ain't that special.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic /forum/post/0

The SNR jumping around might be the cause of the errors that most likely are freezing the picture. If it goes low enough, you will get errors. I don't know the figures for FIOS, but 19-20 for HD on Cable QAM would never work. 32 is about the lowest it will go before you begin to see errors.

I wish I knew how he got to that menu on the screen that showed the SNR. I liked to see whats it's @ in the living room when the one in the bedroom freezes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic /forum/post/0

Atleast for now, you need to eliminate that possibility - bypass the receiever and see if it freezes.

You think I should do this even thou its freezes in the room where it goes straight from the box to the TV?

BTW the image that was burned into the screen (ghost) is gone!

·
Registered
23,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull808 /forum/post/0

You think I should do this even thou its freezes in the room where it goes straight from the box to the TV?

Yes

Quote:
BTW the image that was burned into the screen (ghost) is gone!

As stated in post #6.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.