AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I searched as much as I could on the forums but the FIOS thread is like 3k posts long, and I couldn't find an answer to my question by searching.

I currently live in an apartment and have Comcast cable. Cable comes in from outside, splits, one run of the split goes to my STB, the other run of the split goes to my cable modem. My router's WAN port is connected to the cable modem via ethernet. Everything else on my network is connected to my router's LAN ethernet ports or joins the router's wireless network.

I am moving into a house and getting FIOS. The current occupant had FIOS installed this past February. But they are canceling their account and I'm starting my own, so Verizon will come out for an install, though there may not be much to do. I just don't understand how the FIOS wiring works. I will have an HD-DVR in the living room (probably the home media mutli room option). In the den I will have another STB (probably justnon-DVR HD box). I also will have a computer in the den that I want hard wired to the network via ethernet. So that means the modem/router needs to go in the Den.

So, what wires will be coming from the ONT to the inside of the house? A coax? An ethernet? Both?

Assuming it's just coax that comes inside the house and then splits off to different rooms... Will the coax to the living room just connect right to the HD-DVR and that's it? no router or anything there? And the coax to the den, will that have to split again inside the den, with one run going to the Verizon modem/router and the other run going to the HD STB in the den? So there is no direct connection between the modem/router and the STBs?

If that is how all this is wired, is there anything that I will *not* be able to do (like use the multi-room DVR feature, or access the DVR schedule from the internet, or use video on demand, etc.)?

Last question (which I know is the kicker): I've read that many people still want to use their own routers instead of the Verizon modem/router. Why? What is so bad about the Verizon router? (Is it because it's not 802.11 N ?) Couldn't I just turn off the Verizon's wireless transmitter, plug my router's WAN port into one of the Verizon router's LAN ports, and just use my router then? Any downside to that setup?

I realize this is a LOT of questions, but I would really appreciate any insight. I really searched a lot on this and looked for wiring diagrams, etc., but I didn't really find the answers (at least not that I could understand).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave999z /forum/post/17032912

Hello,

I searched as much as I could on the forums but the FIOS thread is like 3k posts long, and I couldn't find an answer to my question by searching.

I currently live in an apartment and have Comcast cable. Cable comes in from outside, splits, one run of the split goes to my STB, the other run of the split goes to my cable modem. My router's WAN port is connected to the cable modem via ethernet. Everything else on my network is connected to my router's LAN ethernet ports or joins the router's wireless network.

I am moving into a house and getting FIOS. The current occupant had FIOS installed this past February. But they are canceling their account and I'm starting my own, so Verizon will come out for an install, though there may not be much to do. I just don't understand how the FIOS wiring works. I will have an HD-DVR in the living room (probably the home media mutli room option). In the den I will have another STB (probably justnon-DVR HD box). I also will have a computer in the den that I want hard wired to the network via ethernet. So that means the modem/router needs to go in the Den.

So, what wires will be coming from the ONT to the inside of the house? A coax? An ethernet? Both?

Assuming it's just coax that comes inside the house and then splits off to different rooms... Will the coax to the living room just connect right to the HD-DVR and that's it? no router or anything there? And the coax to the den, will that have to split again inside the den, with one run going to the Verizon modem/router and the other run going to the HD STB in the den? So there is no direct connection between the modem/router and the STBs?

If that is how all this is wired, is there anything that I will *not* be able to do (like use the multi-room DVR feature, or access the DVR schedule from the internet, or use video on demand, etc.)?

Last question (which I know is the kicker): I've read that many people still want to use their own routers instead of the Verizon modem/router. Why? What is so bad about the Verizon router? (Is it because it's not 802.11 N ?) Couldn't I just turn off the Verizon's wireless transmitter, plug my router's WAN port into one of the Verizon router's LAN ports, and just use my router then? Any downside to that setup?

I realize this is a LOT of questions, but I would really appreciate any insight. I really searched a lot on this and looked for wiring diagrams, etc., but I didn't really find the answers (at least not that I could understand).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

i'm getting fios on the 27th thank heavens i only have one tv we'll see where all the stuff goes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts