AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't figure out which forum would be best for this question, if this is wrong please let me know or move it if you have the ability, thanks.

I just bought a condo, the closing is in 60 days so I have some time to decide what to do. I have Cablevision/Optimum at my current home which I am moderately happy with, but the new condo is served by Comcast which seems to be more expensive and offers nothing more. The cable comes off the pole overhead to a box that I assume is filled with taps, from there many cables come out and go into the basement area. These cables look even smaller than RG-59, very old and crappy looking. I would rather avoid that all together.

The FiOS website says that it's service isn't yet available to my new condo, but I see service loops next to both poles outside my building, as well as all over the area, so I assume FiOS will be available there very soon.

My question is how FiOS works with condo or apartment buildings? I understand they need both a box to terminate the fiber to as well as a UPS. In a condo or apartment building, will they install a separate box for each unit, or one big box for the entire building? I'm also concerned about the UPS, I believe the current cable comes in thru someones basement condo unit in my building, so where would they put the UPS and how would they power it?

I am an electrician and I have access to the attic above my second floor condo, and my unit is close to the current demarc, so I would be willing to run the coax, Cat5e, as well as a 120V circuit if they wanted to put the UPS in my attic. If they would allow it, I could run the coax and Cat5e out from the attic down the side and over to the box they install to avoid using the crappy coax that is currently in the building.

For what it's worth, I plan on getting cable and internet from FiOS. I have no need for a telephone line. I'm wondering if the UPS is still required without a phone line? Also, this condo building only has 20 units and they are mostly old people who probably don't care about upgrading their cable service.

If anyone has information on the subject, please chime in!

Thanks again!

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Sure, FIOS can be installed in so-called multiple dwelling units, to use the industry term. Much of FIOS is based on cable hardware. Here's a thread about a NYC MDU installation, although apparently the video stage of installation requires a city approval process still in the works. Cables outside buildings, of course, might be cable company's or FIOS. -- John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.