AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting here because there seems to be some in the know about FiOs guys lurking here.

We are building a playhouse about 90 feet behind our house. Our theater will be here. We use DirecTV for tv and DirecTV has been real helpful. We are going to install a 2nd dish out on the playhouse (free of charge no less) and simply pay for the extra receivers.

FiOs is our internet and phone provider. The concept of getting my phone and internet service a mere 90 feet out to this building is lost on them. You cannot believe the number of calls Ive made. Worst case scenario I figure I run cat5e myself out to the building through the conduit I laid and move my router out there when I need it. I'd rather just have a 2nd router out there but they seem to not know if this is possible. I'm know techno geek but this doesnt seem to be all that difficult. Ive been lurking here for 6 months and have learned so much about theater builds from you guys that I'm hopeful someone can help me out. Can I run a 2nd router from the Verizon box in my basement or can I split the line that runs to the router in my home office (the wireless signal is not strong enough to reach the playhouse and I'd like to have the ability to plug stuff directly to the router in the playhouse).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I believe the router they provided has a 4 port switch, you'd need to run a Cat6 from that router location out to your playhouse then just use a standard switch in the playhouse to split it as needed. For the phones you can run another Cat6 feed out and tie it into your exisiting phone system.

Verizon isn't going to be much help because they don't set up home networks.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Very simple - just follow the advice above. Two CAT5es - the limit on CAT5e is 300 ft so you're well within that limit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice....but a couple of questions because I'm ignorant...

1) then would I place a 2nd router in the playhouse? or is it not needed

2) what is meant by a standard switch

thanks in advance

Tony

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually maybe I just need a clarification....is that RG6 that is running signal to my router? It looks like the cable wire that was in the house when it was built 9 yrs ago. I for some reason thought it was cat5.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
1) No

2) A switch, something as simple as this depending on the number of ports you need - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122005

I'd need to clarify with a friend that has fios to see what's feeding the router. Shouldn't change your plans though, you still need to run Cat6 from the location of the router out to your playhouse.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/14197995

Very simple - just follow the advice above. Two CAT5es - the limit on CAT5e is 300 ft so you're well within that limit.

Stupid to run CAT5e in this day and age. Run CAT6.

10 years ago people were running CAT5 thinking they would not need the limits of CAT5e or CAT6.

With the higher bandwidth needed for HD and Video Servers, CAT6 is minimum to even think about - or you will end up replacing it sooner instead of later.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
At that distance there's virtually no diff between CAT5e and CAT6. CAT5e will run gigabit speeds - if it's ever needed. Obviously CAT5e is plenty for POTS. When you go to CAT6 you also need different RJ45 connectors to crimp on the ends. Next thing you know folks will be recommending fiber.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTTS /forum/post/14202655

Actually maybe I just need a clarification....is that RG6 that is running signal to my router? It looks like the cable wire that was in the house when it was built 9 yrs ago. I for some reason thought it was cat5.

if your FiOS install was fairly recent(i.e. the last yr or so) there should be RG6 cable running from the ONT to the router. that's coaxial cable & yes it looks like any other cable TV line.

Cat 5 & 6 look like a telephone cable on steroids. it would plug into one of the wired LAN ports on the FiOS router & from there run it to whatever computer or other device you want.

the router has a total of 4 wired ports so that should work for you without splitting the signal further(depending on the # of devices you're feeding). if as you said you already have a conduit laid out it should be a tidy run.

for myself i've used one of the LAN ports on my router to upgrade the firmware on my Blu-Ray player-no issues.

BTW have you given any thought to FiOS TV or is it not available in your area?

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/14225068

At that distance there's virtually no diff between CAT5e and CAT6. CAT5e will run gigabit speeds - if it's ever needed. Obviously CAT5e is plenty for POTS. When you go to CAT6 you also need different RJ45 connectors to crimp on the ends. Next thing you know folks will be recommending fiber.

You sound just like the people telling me I was nuts to buy a 72MEG Hard Drive as I would never fill it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts