AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Verizon FIOS (Internet only) installed last month, in part to be ready to receive FIOS TV when they offered it. I live in Southern New Hampshire. Verizon had been having problems getting access on a town by town basis, and gave up on that approach last year. It was expected that they would instead approach the NH State Legislature for approval on state-wide access. Instead, a week ago, Verizon announced that it was selling all wire/fiber operations in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine to FairPoint Communications, in a deal that will take a year to close. I can't figure out if this means the end of FIOS TV in these states. FairPoint has issued a community letter promising continued investment in facilities, but there is no mention of FIOS or FIOS TV, and other reporting has indicated that in some cases (mostly rural) they will pull back on further expansion of wired Internet in favor of DSL. Here are links to their press release and community letter. Has ANYONE heard about or know enough to guess what this means for FIOS TV?

http://www.fairpoint.com/merger_press_release2.html

http://www.fairpoint.com/merger_letter.html

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think they are talking about reinstalling copper after fiber. I got the impression that new expansion of broadband internet access in rural communities would favor DSL instead of new fiber.

I have emailed FairPoint requesting clarification of their plans regarding FIOS-TV in these three states, but we'll see if they respond. The lengthy period over which the merger will take place would give them an easy "We cannot comment at thgis time" out.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
DSL depends on proximity to a CO - something that might be iffy in a rural community. Seems that Verizon doesn't see any easing of the regulatory situation and is jumping ship. Plus the limited market makes any big investment in such an area risky in terms ROI.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I have Fairpoint DSL =$44 plus per month. Verizon DSL in another town = $25 plus per month. This is how fairpoint will eventually be able to deliver FIOS. Fairpoint=1.5 download. Verizon 3.0 download. Who would you like?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.