AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dug 'em out of the closet and one at a time, played each for about an hour just to keep them in good playing form.

an hd-a2 and hd-a30, hadn't used them in probably almost ~3 years as i was able to get a third one, a onkyo hd-805 with a reon vp which is also seldom used as now we have bds.

hardest part was having to relearn how to use the setup button on each.

their hi def images still look pretty good too.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Good to hear they're still working, however, wondering why you're not using them or have not used them for 3 years. I own over 300 hd-dvd's and don't plan on double dipping. I just picked up a hd805 for $25.00 from a local used media store.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 /forum/post/19558197

Good to hear you they're still working, however, wondering why you're not using them or have not used them for 3 years. I own over 300 hd-dvd's and don't plan on double dipping. I just picked up a hd805 for $25.00 from a local used media store.

Record Exchange? That is quite a steal. I paid about 20 times as much for a new unit from Vanns.

I really have to question why someone would part with the player for probably $10. You'd think they'd find some online avenue to sell it, given I don't recall any brick and mortar store in this area selling that model, and it sells for much more than that, last time I looked.

Not as bad as seeing a Wadia CD transport for $100 at a used store. Really regret not flipping that one.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
You guested it...the record exchange had it. I could not pass on it for the money. When I first saw it I thought my eyes was playing tricks on me. Who ever had it took very good care of it and upgraded to 2.8 firmware. People just don't get it....HD-DVD is still HI-DEF...so why pay the loot to double dip blu-rays when you can by the same movies now a days for 2 bucks. I also own a 360 add on, tosh. a30, 2-samsung up5000's, LG computer hd-dvd/blu-ray rom, and now this baby.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I still have the XA2 in my HT and will agree HD DVDs still look very good. Some even better than some BDs out there.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1
Good to hear they're still working, however, wondering why you're not using them or have not used them for 3 years. I own over 300 hd-dvd's and don't plan on double dipping. I just picked up a hd805 for $25.00 from a local used media store.
i usually only watch about 2-5 movies per month and for most of the past few years they've been mostly bds.

wow, great deal on that hd-805!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/19607086

i usually only watch about 2-5 movies per month and for most of the past few years they've been mostly bds.

wow, great deal on that hd-805!

yea...it was a great deal.
I was shocked when I saw it in a local record exchange store. Based on what they pay for players and sell them for the owner got about $12.00 in cash and $15.00 in trade for it.
I don't understand the rush to sell all of the hd-dvd's and buy blu-rays when they're both hd. Some cases the hd-dvd look better and a lot of cases there's not a blu-ray to double dip. Figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I fired up my Onkyo 805 HD-DVD player last night. Watched Blade Runner, and a bit of the Matrix. Man, the picture looked good! Also, I didn't miss the java loads, and in my opinion the menu functions have always worked smoother on HD-DVD than a lot of the Blu Rays today.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Still play mine on a regular basis. They've been workhorses!

But...

I finally broke down and purchased a Panny BD85 player, and am ready to retire one of my two HD DVD players. I'd like to unload my HD-A1...does this player have any value at all in the secondary market? I'm pretty sure that the drive itself can be used in a PC, if nothing else?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Funny story: I was unpacking from a recent move and my 3 year old son wanted to help me put my movies in their shelves. So I told him the red boxes go in this shelf and the blue boxes go in this shelf. Funny how the red boxes out numbered the blue boxes 3 to 1,still! I also explained the red box movies play in this player and the blue ones play in this player. We actually watch more red ones, I think. Especially this time of year: we have the Grinch, A Christmas Story, Polar Express just to name a few. I've got two hd-a20's so we will be in the red for awhile. I have no intention of buying any of my "reds" on "blue" any time soon. I also use my hd-a20 for dvd's, it just gives a better picture than my Panny BDP35 and the sound quality is much better. Star Wars never looked better! Definitely squeezing every cent out of the hd-dvd format at my house. Now just reaping the rewards of all those dirt cheap discs in hi-def. It's just too cold to go out! :p

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
This is a great thread! fired up my A-1 last night and watched Fast times at Ridgemont High and it looked better than it should. Still works like a charm. That player was my first foray into hidef so I will keep it for sentimental reasons. I have 3 br players and my A-1 is still my favourite.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Still have about 60 HD DVD's. I like the cover art many discs shared, with the gold strip running from the center of disc to one edge.

Have my XBOX360 drive connected to my bedroom that came with the copy of King Kong. An A-2 in my HT. Sold my A-3 in the living room, and replaced it with blu ray for the family.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
My HDA1 has been my primary DVD player since the first day it was sold...solid as a tank. Every 6 months, I take it outside, remove the screws, take off the cover and blow it out...it sure gets dusty! My Panny BD30 is my BD player, not a good upscaler.

The HDA1 upscales beautifully and I still have 40 HDDVDs that I still watch. I would like to get an XA2 for the 1080p upscaling. When I freeze frame a DVD, I get jaggies because it's interlaced. With progressive, of course the jaggies would be eliminated.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/19555364

Dug 'em out of the closet and one at a time, played each for about an hour just to keep them in good playing form.

an hd-a2 and hd-a30, hadn't used them in probably almost ~3 years as i was able to get a third one, a onkyo hd-805 with a reon vp which is also seldom used as now we have bds.

hardest part was having to relearn how to use the setup button on each.

their hi def images still look pretty good too.

Did you somehow think that sitting in the closet unplugged, they would somehow stop working? Seriously.

BTW-Its good to hear you used them. I ended up buying 2 brand new XA2's about 1 year ago to replace the A2's I have, and I am glad I did since the supply seems to have dried up unless you want to pay the outrageous price I have seen on Amazon-like 800 for a new A35.

My brother just got his first HDTV and I gave him my old Sammy 1400 BD player and plan on picking up a HD-DVD player for him too so he has blu and red!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/19636534

Did you somehow think that sitting in the closet unplugged, they would somehow stop working? Seriously.

i think (and hope) that most people understand that for a machine to sit around unused for long periods of time is sometimes unhealthy for said machines.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate
i think (and hope) that most people understand that for a machine to sit around unused for long periods of time is sometimes unhealthy for said machines.

And for some reason hi-rez players (both red and blu) have an annoying tendency to stop working for absolutely no reason at all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.