AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on DVDTalk mentioned that Firefly would be coming to UniversalHD in the near future. I found this odd because 1) I figured Id hear it here first, and 2) Even though Serenity was a Universal Pictures film, Firefly was a FOX property and I assume it still is. This would be incredible news if true, so can anyone verify or debunk?

·
Registered
18,695 Posts
Doubtful. They never shot the show in HD. They'd be showing it upconverted 480i, and I'm pretty sure UHD is exclusively HD.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
My son just lent me the DVDs which I will return to him if any chance of HD. But as I read this thread I better start watching the DVDs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Universal HD sounds like such a great channel. My local cable company, Time Warner, is a major slacker in the HD department. It was aggravating sitting by while Battlestar Galactica was shown in HD. If I miss Firefly now, I'm switching to Dish Network.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my question may have been answered...a UHD commercial just aired on UHD which included Firefly. The commercial wasnt in HD though, if that matters. So maybe its not a matter of if, but when

^UHD is one of the few HD channels TWC actually carries...you must be on an even crappier system than I am.

·
Registered
18,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra /forum/post/0

Well, my question may have been answered...a UHD commercial just aired on UHD which included Firefly. The commercial wasnt in HD though, if that matters. So maybe its not a matter of if, but when .

Firefly is being shown on Sci-Fi which is owned by Universal/NBC, hence the commercial.

As I stated earlier, no HD transfer of Firefly exists and the FX were done low-res, so it would be impossible to show in HD.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/0

As I stated earlier, no HD transfer of Firefly exists and the FX were done low-res, so it would be impossible to show in HD.

Nothing is impossible if you throw enough money at it. An HD transfer could be done on the film, and effects redone in HD if someone with the cash REALLY wanted to see it in HD.

·
Registered
18,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/0

Nothing is impossible if you throw enough money at it. An HD transfer could be done on the film, and effects redone in HD if someone with the cash REALLY wanted to see it in HD.

There's just no logical responses to statements like yours other than, "it ain't gonna happen".

I'm hoping this thread gets locked because there is really no where to go with it.

If you want to comment on the series itself, try the Serenity thread over in the DVD forum.

·
Registered
18,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/0

Actually (to split hairs), it was broadcast in 480p widescreen-

No, actually it was 480i upconverted to 480p (or whatever your local affiliate was doing), as all Fox Digital broadcasts were back then.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjeff /forum/post/0

Universal HD sounds like such a great channel. My local cable company, Time Warner, is a major slacker in the HD department. It was aggravating sitting by while Battlestar Galactica was shown in HD. If I miss Firefly now, I'm switching to Dish Network.

Yes, Universal is a great channel only if you want to watch Skulls 3 or L & O every other hour.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:

Firefly is being shown on Sci-Fi which is owned by Universal/NBC, hence the commercial.

Who knows, but it was an ad for Universal HD, NOT for Sci-Fi....and I cant imagine any reason why they would throw in random Sci-Fi only programming into that spot for no good reason. Maybe its all a farce, maybe UHD is going to show non-HD programming, who knows. Regardless, its better than what they are showing now (I love Quantum Leap and Knight Rider, but enough is enough).

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra /forum/post/0

Who knows, but it was an ad for Universal HD, NOT for Sci-Fi....and I cant imagine any reason why they would throw in random Sci-Fi only programming into that spot for no good reason.

- UHD does it all the time to promote other Sci-Fi only programs like "The 4400".

·
Registered
27,228 Posts

Quote:

There's just no logical responses to statements like yours other than, "it ain't gonna happen".

I'm hoping this thread gets locked because there is really no where to go with it.

The show was shot on film and likely archived to an HD master tape even if the VFX were upconverted. Enterprise and Angel are just two examples of series that were broadcast in HD even though their VFX were rendered in Standard-Def. There was a noticeable drop in picture quality any time a visual effect happened, but the majority of the episode would be HD.

·
Registered
18,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano /forum/post/0

firefly will be on UHD on sunday nights, launches on sept 24

Link?

If so, I guess I was wrong. It won't be fully HD, and I doubt it will look all that hot. On top of that we'll get the fake 5.0 surround UHD pumps out.

I wonder who decided this, because Josh himself said we'd never see a HD version of it.

I think I'll stick with the DVD.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:

Link?

If so, I guess I was wrong. It won't be fully HD, and I doubt it will look all that hot. On top of that we'll get the fake 5.0 surround UHD pumps out.

I wonder who decided this, because Josh himself said we'd never see a HD version of it.

I think I'll stick with the DVD.

It's coming--it's in the UHD promo reel. BTW, it's Joss not Josh.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts