AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CURRENT SITUATION: I am currently using an Electrohome 4100 with 7†CRTs on a DaLite 84â€, 4:3, 1.1 gain screen in a room with ambient light problems. The tubes in the projector at a little over 4 years old and I know I will need to do something in the not too distant future

FUTURE: I plan on purchasing a new DLP in the next year or so (HD1 or HD2) and using a Firehawk screen. Considering the rapidly changing technology and, hopefully, future price reductions, I really don’t want to rush the purchase of the projector. However, I have considered purchasing the Firehawk now in order to spread expense over time, move to a 16:9 screen, increase gain to 1:3, and reduce the ambient light problems.

QUESTION: I know the Firehawk is designed for digital projectors but want to know if this is a practical alternative? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a Firehawk with a CRT.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Randy

PS. I spend a lot of time lurking here and learning a lot. GREAT forum. Thanks to all the experts who regularly contribute.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Randy,

The issues with pairing Firehawk with a CRT are covered in the thread on the CRT forum 'Anyone Using Their CRT with a Firehawk?' and are also discussed on the first page in the thread 'Why On Earth Buy a Firehawk'. Basically, the Firehawk is manufactured to reflect all the colour hitting the screen at the same time from one lens. If you have three lenses ala CRT hitting it from three different angles, theoretically it might produce a bit of a mess. Also, the Firehawk has an intrinsic gain of about 2 dimmed down to 1.36 by the silver gray surface. Again , this may result in the three colour primaries being reflected back and causing colour shifts. It might be wise to contact Stewart and see if they have tried it for real. Firehawk and one of the latest DLP's or a newer HD2 will be terrific. Good luck with your searches.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your reply. I should have done a search first. I think I have my answer and will have to make the switch all at the same time. Thanks again for the response.

Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.