AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to a friend's house recently and fell in love with his setup. The Sharp 9000 projected onto his newly replaced FireHawk screen blows away his previous GrayHawk, IMHO. Since I will be purchasing my HT all in one fell swoop, my budget will have to allocate most of the dough into my speakers and projector. With dollar limitations, I am wondering if a competitor makes their version of a FireHawk. I know DaLite has their version of the GrayHawk, as well as VuTec with their Gray Dove.

I have read here that many here make their own screens also. I am not eliminating that possibility but it certainly seems to be a daunting project.

·
Registered
617 Posts
have you seen or read this Patric? I would try the goo too but it seems a little expensive on it's own vs. Dalite. Course no waves it you put it on something rigid...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Rob Havn´t seen it, but gonne buy it tommorow, but since I live in Sweden, I will not get it until sometimes in January.

I went with the goo paint because of what I have read it should be a litle bit better then the dalite and should have a higher gain, then I maybe can use both a grey screen and the filter to my hs10.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have read a little bit about this Goo stuff in this forum. Is this a brand name that I can just ask for at some shop?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was going to post a link, but I doubt the rules here allow me to, even though AVS is unlikely to carry this product. It is made by one of the forum's most well-known (and "problematic") members. I think the only way to get it at the moment is direct order from his site. If you keep in mind that it's not just a paint, it's a "system," you should be able to find the website.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gentlepersons:

For those of you considering Goo Systems paint: 2 months ago I used a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and painted it with the 2 part "Grey Goo." The price of the goo was $ 140.00 including shipping. The plywood was sanded, primed with latex paint purchased locally, sanded, primed again and sanded. I then applied the grey goo primer with a roller and allowed it to dry for 2 hours. I then applied a second coat and allowed it to dry overnight. I used a long pole with the roller so I could get even strokes over the length of the board. By first rolling North-South and then East-West, I was able to achieve perfect coverage with no unusual streaking or missed spots. The goo had a strong odor, but otherwise presented no problems, and cleaned up easily with water. The top coat was applied similiarly - 2 coats separated by 2 hours of drying. Overnight drying prior to setup 14 feet from my G150CL DILA projector.

I also made a 2' square sample along with the large plywood sheet. I took the sample next door to my neighbor's home for comparison with his Firehawk screen: Seleco HT300 projector, total light control, 16/9 120" diagonal, 13' projection distance, HDnet from Dish @ 1080.

Impressions: 1) Brightness: could not distinguish any significant difference. 2) Color: Goo reds were superior in many scenes, the same in others. Reason for the "change" in color is not known. When there was a difference in color the Firehawk made the reds look darker, less vibrant. Blue and green were identical in all scenes.

Conclusions: My neighbor prefers his Firehawk. I prefer the Goo screen by a large margin. The reds do it for me. Anyone planning to get 110% performance for 1/5 the price should be happy with this stuff.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Goo Systems whatsoever.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RICHARDAVOGEL
Gentlepersons:

For those of you considering Goo Systems paint: 2 months ago I used a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and painted it with the 2 part "Grey Goo."
Interesting. How does it work to have a 2:1 screen instead of the usual 16:9? If I could find a piece of plywood that is 96" x 54", I might consider the Goo option. But my fear is that I'd screw it up in one way or another. At times I've considered getting the Firehawk just to have the peace of mind that I'm getting a screen that many people consider "top of the line".

My thinking is that I should perhaps splurge for my screen because it's not likely I'll be replacing it anytime soon (unless of course my 1 yr old decides to draw all over it). My projector (HS10) on the other hand will definitely be replaced wthin 2-3 years.

I will (of course) wait until I actually get my projector to make the final decision. If the samples of Firehawk aren't visibly superior to the HCCV after careful comparisons, then I'll likely just get HCCV

·
Registered
15 Posts
gowgow:

2:1 is not my ideal size. Grey bars top and bottom for 1.78, 1.85 and more so for 2.35. And grey bars left and right for TV. So - 4 pieces of black velvet and a few minutes of sewing on my wife's part made a very acceptable series of masks that stay put with Velcro on the edge of the plywood and darken the perimeter. Really the same problem with any size screen you choose, unless you watch only one aspect ratio.

My point, however, is that I consider the Goo "better" than Firehawk without regard to price. The reds are RED, and the grays to blacks are at least as good.

Will you screw up the application? Not likely - it is as easy as painting any flat surface. And you can always sand down the last application layer and reapply. There is enough paint left over from my project to do another 20 to 30 square feet.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
:confused:

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
holy cow, what is that?

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Looks like the post has been deleted.