AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which screen would be more appropriate for a 270W bulb Dwin TV 2 projector given its light output (light output not indicated on the spec sheet),,, ie, would I benefit that much from the higher reflection of the firehawk?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
It depends on a few factors.

How big is your screen?

Is your room totally light controlled?

Will you be watching with some light on?

My dealer recommended the Firedhawk because I am planning on getting the Dwin.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, good questions.

Room is light controlled, 100" 16:9 aspect ratio, I imagine some viewing with lights on (e.g. football games)

A contact at dwin told me all I would need is a grayhawk, but I wonder on their recomendations as they did not even use a grayhawk when they introduced the original transvision for their own viewing, hence why I am asking.....

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am not a screen expert by any means, I believe for the football the Firehawk would be better. Because it will handle ambient light better. I am sure that the Grayhawk would work very well too. There was a thread here in which this was discussed and there was a formula that you can use to determine which would be better.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Because Dwin themselves don't even recommend a gray screen (which I am not convinced of I might add), they will not tell you whether to get a Firehawk or Grayhawk. From my experience, as long as you do not have a wide room where people would be sitting off axis too much, then go with the Firehawk. Even with the higher output lamp, it will still benefit from the added gain of the Firehawk. Also, the Firehawk is definitely better at reducing ambient light reflection. At CES, they had it straight under the convention center lighting, and it was amazing the difference between the Firehawk and the Studiotek 130 (which they had it next to). The Firehawk completely got rid of the washed out look from that ambient lighting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know this is pretty much speculation at this point, since few if any have seen the projector, but I'll ask anyway...

My mother is building a home theatre in my child-hood home (awesome, no?) and has hired a very serious home theatre company to build the theatre, wire everything, etc. She (and they) have chosen the 270w version of the Dwin TV2 and our consultant has specified a 92" diagonal HDTV-aspect ratio Studiotek 130. The room is approximately 16'x14' and there are two big windows on one side but will have heavy light-blocking drapes that can be pulled over them. So the light control isn't perfect, but should be pretty good. Months ago, I suggested to him that he consider the GreyHawk and though he considered it, he thought the whites become "greyer" on that screen and stuck with the Studiotek since he has used it with much success in the past.

Do you guys think we're making a mistake? Will the Studiotek 130 show hotspots with this bright a projector?

Thanks all...

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
There are some truths to what he is saying. A gray screen will indeed affect the true whites. Generally, as with any screen, they need to do a calibration in order to adjust the grayscale. Once that is completed, the image should be very good and the "gray whites" will not be an issue.

Now what I don't agree with is the choice of the 270 watt unit with the Studiotek 130. Should they decide that a 92" Studiotek 130 is the way to go, then the 150 watt version should be plenty bright enough. Even Dwin themselves only recommends the 270 watt version when someone is going with an overly large screen or if they have a lot of ambient light. The 150 watt unit is also a bit cheaper.

Back to the screen. If the ambient light is going to be an issue, then she may also want to consider the Firehawk material. It is extremely good at reducing ambient light reflection. I have seen the Firehawk and Studiotek 130 materials side by side with ambient light, and there is no comparision that the Firehawk does a much better job.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.