AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one of these screens would best suit the Sanyo PLV-70 for a room with moderate to low ambient light? Would either one of these help the contrast performance and the blacks for this projector?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I think you will see better performance from the Firehawk the more ambient light you have.

Also the firehawk probably looks better if you sit closer to the screen.

They are both good products but do very different things!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The PLV 70 is very bright. The Silverstar is very bright. Bad combo. The Silverstar is appropriate for a dim PJ, not for something the brightness level of the PLV70. It will exagerate the PLV70s shortcomings, where as a grey screen, like the greyhawk, will mask them. This is not even a close call, IMHO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys I am still undecided about which projector to get but would you guys still recommend the Firehawk for an IF7200 being that this projector has less lumens and the silverstar has a higher gain?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
JimmyR here pairs the Sanyo with the High Power.

It is better than you think.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what would be better for some ambient light

1) Sanyo with High Power or Firehawk

2) IF7200 with Silverstar or Firehawk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Couple Questions...

1) I'm new to this stuff and i'm in the process of researching projections and screens and the such. I believe I like what I hear about the X1 but I will check it out locally if I can find it. When people say they had a demo of a projector, are they going to a store and tryin it out or does someone come to them or what?

2) Where can I find prices on these SilverStar screens?

3) A couple posts above this, someone said a bright screen with a bright projector is bad. I understand that, but couldn't the brightness on the projector be turned down to make a very nice picture and therefore increase the life of the bulb as well?

Thanks for any help! It's my first post ;)

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Quote:
I think you will see better performance from the Firehawk the more ambient light you have.
I don't quite agree with this. Up to a point, you're certainly correct, the grey base of the Firehawk will help absorb some ambient light and give you better contrast as a result. However, at some point the ambient light will just be too bright for the Firehawk to help. At that point, the added brightness of the SilverStar is going to be the overriding benefit.
Quote:
The PLV 70 is very bright. The Silverstar is very bright. Bad combo.
Don't knock it until you've tried it. I saw JimmyR's setup as well, and we even brought along a SilverStar sample. I was surprised how good it looked.

In fact, you really have the potential to have the best of both worlds with a setup like this. You get the brightest possible image when you find yourself stuck with ambient light---and you can always use an ND filter to bring down the brightness (and black level) when the lights go out.

And, as the previous poster has suggested, if your projector has a "low power" mode, you can take advantage of it to extend your bulb's life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.