AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine this comes up alot, but I couldn't find a definative answer. I am installing a Marantz 12S1 (their new 16X9 single-DLP model) and a 100" screen in a multi-purpose room where I can control the light pretty well but not to blackout. The main seating position is 13 feet away dead on, but others will sit 10 feet away 30 degrees off center. Which screen do you recommend? From the specs and some discussions with (less than knowledgeable) sales guys, it looks like a tradeoff between gain and off-axis viewing. Is that correct? Also, whats the relative price delta (i.e. firehawk is X times greyhawk). Thanks, great forum.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I believe the Firehawk has a 100 degree viewable axis, so you would be fine. My projector, lighting conditions, screen size, seating distance & axis are similar to yours and I ordered the Firehawk, no brainer.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Paul,

I think I've done most of your homework for you already. I ordered the FireHawk and it should be in by the beginning of June. I've read thread after thread praising the FireHawk when combined with the Marantz. I certainly don't think you can go wrong with it in any way. Stewart is praised for not only the screen, but the outstanding service as well. As for price, they are priced exactly the same.

Call or e-mail Jason here at AVS for the absolute best price around (with killer service to boot).

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Paul,

I have the same projector with roughly the same screen size (89" wide). Currently I have a Stewart Videomatte 200 with a 1.8 gain. With this screen there is some difficultly with high brightness regions, it looks like grain on the screen (sorry for the digression). Anyway I am using low lamp mode with the Videomatte. This screen has similar off-axis performance as the Firehawk and 30 degrees is not much of a problem. I ordered a Firehawk because a Grayhawk would give me basically half the light I have now, which I checked with ND filters and it is lacking punch in comparison. For that size and projector I think the Firehawk is ideal.

John Moschella

·
Registered
157 Posts
Like John and Victor, I have the Marantz PJ. I also have the 100" Firehawk. I did not see the greyhawk, but I love this combination. I have NO concerns whatsoever with 30 degrees off-axis viewing. I am sitting about 11 feet from the screen for DVD-only viewing and it looks great. I have looked hard for a noticeable nonuniformity in brightness across the screen from sitting off-axis. It is barely detectable and only by me (no one else can see it even if I tell them to look for it but you know those non-HT types :) ).

I do not have a dedicated room so there is ambient light from a few different directions (security lights outside, etc.) and the screen is not at all washed out. Since the walls are light colored, there is also a fair amount of reflections in the room. Still, it looks great - the FH really is good at rejecting the ambient light. Although I prefer it pitch black, my kids often watch a movie in the afternoon with skimpy shades drawn and it is very watchable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like its unanimous, firehawk it is, especially at the same price. Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.