Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attention owners of the FireHawk screen,

How long did it take to get the factory-wrapped wrinkles out of your FireHawk material after you put it up?

I just got my screen in on Monday (92" diagonal Luxus Deluxe ScreenWall) and put it up that night because I wanted the wrinkles to disappear while I was out of town on business. I figured they would be completely gone by the time I got back. I came back very late Thursday night, walked into the HT room and all the wrinkles were still there! It's Saturday morning and there's no change.

Will this process take a lot longer? Is my FireHawk material flawed? Should I warm the room up?(air conditioning is very cold in the HT room)

Any suggestions or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Victor

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumpity, bumpity, bump!

Please, no comments about spraying it with anti-aging cream. I already tried it and it doesn't work! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Dear Victor,

Most fixed screens will show some packing impressions from being rolled during the shipping process. They normally flatten out within a week or so. However, after reading your post, I have a feeling that your screen might have been creased when our screen techs were preparing it for shipping. The other remote possible problem may be a misalignment between the screen and frame snap fasteners.

Please call 1-800-762-4999 and ask for our customer service manager, Mr Scott Kimber. Please have your unit's serial number handy.

We can the make you a new screen to fit your existing frame.

In the meantime, you might want to try this quick fix. Take a powerful hair dryer and heat the problem areas of your screen. (Move the heat in small circular motions over the wrinkles) Heat to approximately 140 degrees F. As screen cools down it will also shrink and may remove the wrinkles.

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don,

Thank you for commenting on the wrinkling problem I'm experiencing. Other than the wrinkles, I don't have a "problem" with your screen or your company because I know that, whatever happens, you always stand behind your product with 100% customer satisfaction.

I will definitely try your suggestion and see if the wrinkling gets better or goes away altogether. I'm also going to give it another couple of weeks to see if the wrinkling actually lessens over time.

Thanks again!

Victor

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Victor,

I used a warm iron on the back of some Stewart Screen material without incident and got the wrinkles to go away.

I didn't consider the hair-dryer idea...

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wigggles,

Thank you for the suggestion. Pretty soon I'll be blow-drying my hair (what's left of if) and ironing my own clothes. My wife will probably think I've turned "happy" on her. ;)

Seriously though, I really want to try to get these wrinkles out somehow before I have to resort to bothering someone over at Stewart over this. I keep thinking the culprit has to be the cold temperature in the HT room. First, I'm going to try the hair dryer. If that doesn't work, I'll try the iron. If that doesn't work, I'll take the whole thing out to the terrace and let it sit in the hot environment for a day. If all else fails, I'll call Stewart as Don suggested.

Rest assured, there is a solution on the horizon.

Thank you again for your input as it is greatly appreciated!

Victor

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Another thing to check out is the snaps on the frame. See if they are riveted on, or if they are a special "snap on". If the latter is the case, sometimes you can lightly tap the snaps in the general area of the wrinkles and move then just enough to fix the wrinkle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

It's been one whole month since I put up the FireHawk and the major wrinkles are still very noticeable during bright scenes. There are heavy vertical creases every 10-12 inches. Maybe a result of folding before rolling onto the shipping tube?

Anyways, before calling in for a replacement screen, I took Don Stewart's recommendation and brought out the heavy artillery, my wife's hair blow dryer! After heating the surface in a circular motion along the creases, THEY MAGICALLY DISAPPEARED BEFORE MY VERY EYES! Talk about results. The screen is now as flat as a piece of glass and I'm thoroughly enjoying the viewing experience!

Don, thank you for the recommendation! As for everyone else, if you have the same wrinkling problem, there is a quick solution. I'm living proof!

Victor

·
Registered
130 Posts
vdelauz,

Man am I happy to hear this...

I stretched mine over DIY wood frame and I was afraid that I might have stretched this think too much - the vertical, irregular hair lines are visible during bright scenes. I am the only one noticing it though...I couldn't't admit to anybody that one element of my top notch setup is no good - I was devastated.

Can hardly wait till I get home and apply the hair dryer over it, which I was thinking of doing anyway. I was just afraid that I could melt down the coating. Great news...

Thanks,

Jacek

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jacek,

Use the blow dryer, but leave out the hair spray. :D

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!

Victor

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Glad to hear that they finally went away. Usually they do on their own, but sometimes they need a little bit of persuasion. :)

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.