AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what other owners are using. I currently plan on using axiom speakers, m22ti for r\\l fronts with a vp150 for the center along with a pair of qs8's for rear, with a sub from HSU.

thanks

· Registered
23 Posts
Last weekend we auditioned the newer Artison Portrait speakers. These are high-end speakers that replace the side speakers on the plasma. They contain a left, right and center speaker.

The sound was very, very nice. Sharp and detailed.

The greatest benefit is they offer a much cleaner look than all other speaker options. Good for my wife and my ears.

· Registered
582 Posts
Boston Acoustics speakers all around:

* CRC center channel sitting on mantle below plasma.

* CR75 fronts in shelves about 4' either side of plasma (same height as center).

* CR55 rears on stands behind sweet spot.

* CR400 subwoofer (IIRC).

Sony 5.1 receiver @ 100W/ch drives them all.

· Registered
40 Posts
The key for me was finding a center channel that would fit in the 6 inch space between the mantle and the display and that would have a total depth (with speaker cables connected) of 5 or less inches (i.e. the depth of the mantle).

Given the size restrictions, I had fairly limited choices and went with the Canton CD series (CD100 center channel and CD50 L/R). Very solid construction, clear dialogue, fairly detailed with some high frequency roll off and a sound that belies the size (although the center channel is actually not that small). Not what I would choose for a main HT setup, but more than good enough for my bedroom rig.

For my other rig, I have a Martin Logan Fresco center channel, which has the same depth as my display, looks terrific mounted flush against the bottom of the display, and sounds fantastic. At 8.25"H, however, it might not be the best choice for cc that has to go between a display and a mantle. The Vignette is smaller, but only by an inch in that dimension.

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've decided to go with the Paradigm on wall monitor series.

monitor 5's for the fronts.

mini monitors for the rears

cc 370 for the center.

Thanks, DominoGold.

· Registered
33,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by twain
Last weekend we auditioned the newer Artison Portrait speakers. These are high-end speakers that replace the side speakers on the plasma. They contain a left, right and center speaker.

The sound was very, very nice. Sharp and detailed.

The greatest benefit is they offer a much cleaner look than all other speaker options. Good for my wife and my ears.
I just auditioned these today and was also VERY impressed. Very sweet sound with fantastic imaging. In fact, it seemed to better localize sounds with the on-screen image than using separates! The sweep of sounds across the screen was utterly seamless. I had been looking at B&W FPMs, but now I'm thinking these actually may have sounded better to my ears.

· Registered
399 Posts
revmike. Glad I could help. I haven't tried hooked them up yet as I don't have the house yet, but if they're anything like my floor-standing monitor series I think they are the best speakers you can buy for a reasonable price.

If you happen to be in the Michigan area I know a guy that can hook you up for a good price. PM me.

· Registered
604 Posts
3 Thiel Powerpoints (ceiling mounted) in the front (to be delivered in a couple of weeks). 4 PSB Custom sound speakers in ceiling for surround (already in place, left from old system but not worth replacing).

· Registered
16 Posts
RevMike,

I know this is off-topic but how did you mount your plasma over the fireplace, or rather how did you hide your cables/power. I'm in this dilemma at present and need some advice/pictures/recommended installers, etc.

Thanks

Justin

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Justin,

I haven't gotten that far yet, my house is still under construction, so I have access to run my wires. I did have an ac outlet (for a panamax box with the component\\s-video plugin) installed along with cable over the fireplace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.