AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not quite a newb, but in no way am I a techie. My skills lie somewhere in the middle.

So I decided to change things up while we remodeled, and switched from coax to ethernet to hopefully improve signals. Here's the setup I had: Frontier FIOS internet only (100 Mps). Frontier-issued modem/router (Greenwave) connected to several cell phones, tablets, and Alexa devices, including Firestick TV 4k on one tv. Too much bandwidth being used up by 6 people in the house caused some serious buffering issues at times.

I bought an Orbi AC2200 (router & 1 satellite) at Costco today. Called Frontier to switch from coax to ethernet. I turned off the two bands on the Greenwave router, but am still using it as my modem. No problem. Got it all hooked up, and am very happy with it so far. Great speeds. Every device connected to the internet...except the firestick. When I try to connect the firestick to the network, I get an error message. It says I am connected to the Orbi wifi, but not to the internet. The Orbi and modem are about 12 inches from the firestick, so its not a connectivity issue.

I called Orbi tech support, they tried everything they could. I then called Amazon support, and they ran me through all of the paces as well (everything all the way to restoring factory default). When that didn't work either, they finally said it could be a firewall issue with the old modem's firewall not playing nice with the Orbi firewall, or could be a porting issue, and suggested I call Frontier. Frontier said I have to talk to someone in Premium Tech Support (of course there's a cost to that).

I figured I'd connect my laptop directly to the modem to be able to get into myfiosgateway to see if I could do anything simple to fix. I changed the IPv4 firewall settings to the lowest I could (minimum) that Accepts inbound and outbound policy. I could not change the IPv6 settings. I rebooted all of the devices. still can't connect the firestick. I know absolutely nothing about porting.

Any suggestions before I break down and call Premium Tech Support?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
With the three devices that close, I wouldn't even consider wifi for the stick. Not that this is a fix, but have you tried an Ethernet adapter with the stick? I run three sticks/tvs and use Ehternet adapters for all. Better speed and reliability. Can you try that before calling the crooks at Frontier:D. Long time previous customer with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Agreed about doing everything I can not to have to call Frontier.

I forgot to mention that I had planned to have it hardwired in the first place, and thought I had ordered the ethernet adapter. It was still in my Amazon cart, so I ordered it yesterday. Should come tomorrow. Hoping that will solve the problem as well as free up more bandwidth.

I just tried to connect my Echo from my upstairs bedroom, and it too won't connect with the wifi whatsoever. My Echo Show and two Echo Spots connected without a problem. Also, the app won't let me Forget one of the two channels from the previous router. Maybe because I named it the same thing, so I'm going to change the name and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Might be silly, but is there a maximum number of devices connected that you have surpassed? Would it be possible to temporarily disconnect everything, reboot the Orbi, and try the stick by itself?

Never used an Orbi, and if the support there can't help you through this, never will. Seems like something very "simple" being overlooked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts