AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1222 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had my Comcast service installed today here in Ann Arbor. No problems, the HD offering here is pretty nice, 13 channels in total right now. After setting the whole shebang up I was curious what kind of action I could get out of the firewire ports on the DCT-6200 Comcast gave me, figuring that it wouldn't work after reading posts here. We're an all-Mac household here, so the obvious first step was to try VirtualDVHS and see what happens. The Powerbook picked up on the 6200 and listed it as a properly connected device called "6200" in the System Profiler (hardware manager for the Win-heads.) Initially, I could click the record button but nothing much happened, it created an empty .m2t file but not much more. Then I realized I didn't actually have the 6200 tuned to an HD channel (duh) and as soon as I changed to InHD and hit record, *boom* it started writing something to disk at bitrates anywhere between 8 mbit and 15 mbit or so. 10 seconds yielded about 16 megs of material and anxious as I was, I went to VLC to play the .m2t file back. Lo and behold, it worked! :)

Playback was a little too much for my poor 867 mhz PB G4, but it seemed to be all there. Mind you, I haven't yet figured out a way to play the recorded material back through the 6200, but I'm gonna keep tinkering some more. Short story, it seems that at least over here Comcast is rolling out 6200's with at least partly enabled firewire ports. Good news, I'd say. :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pepijn

Can you tell us what firmware version your system is on?

you have to power on, power off, then select on the front of the box. This will let you know what version your running along with some other specs about the box.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsb_hburg
I tested an .M2T stream I recorded from the MIT ProHD MDR-200 to my iMac G4 800 MHz over FireWire using the VirtualDVHS program. I networked my iMac with my Dell P4 2.52 GHz to move the large file. I used VLC for playback on both systems. Both dropped frames. CPU speed is very important. The Dell dropped fewer frames, perhaps a 2.8 plus GHz system would play the file smoothly.
Can't you just play back the .M2T stream through the MDR-200 via Firewire? Doesn't VirtualDVHS have a "play" function?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hugenbd: I should have posted the firmware version last night, my bad. It appears to be at FW version 07.07 as reported by both the diagnostic menu and the regular "About this box" through the user setup menu.

PVR: I was able to record all of the HD channels on offer here, including the InHD channels and other pay channels.

jamoka: There are several hardware mpeg2 solutions for the mac, Elgato just came out with a nifty little box as well: and I'd post the URL if the system would let me. Ah, the joys of noobness: double you x 3 elgato.com/products/eyehome.html

Pepijn.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was mistaken in thinking I can only record HD content. I just did a test record of a regular SD local channel and this too recorded fine and as a nice benefit my Mac was actually able to play it back with no dropped frames. :D

Pepijn.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by balazer
Am I to understand that this 6200 box outputs programs unencrypted? How come it's not using 5c?
I haven't come across any obvious limitations when it comes to recording. I get all the premium HD channels here and they all come in over firewire and as is apparent from other people, play back without a hitch. Obviously, this might change once we see some official firewire support. As a sidenote, when looking at the diagnostics menu it said the 1394 ports were not active. :confused:

Whatever that means, they obviously work very well. Now to find a way to play back through the cable box...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamoka
Great news, pepjin. Who'd have thought Comcast would be the first to allow HD archiving.

Joe
They are not the first. Cablevision on Long Island has offered it for about 10 months now.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
If the MAC D-VHS emulator were to speak 5C to the STB, then let you take the decrypted data and play it somewhere else, it would be a major breach...

Whatever the reason, I can't imagine this scenario is going to last too long.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe that 5c ("high value digital content" has to be turned on by the content provider so if it's not enabled, the programs are sent out in the clear.

1 - 20 of 1222 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.