AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you hook up an RPTV and DVD player to an A/V receiver for home theater, does the receiver also have to have a Firewire connection in addition to the TV and the satellite box?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yes. You're going to be buying all new equipment. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

But Firewire has its benefits. You probably run somewhere between three and six cables just for video input on your receiver. With 1394b, one cable can carry HD video, digital audio in both directions. Using repeaters, you can run Firewire hundreds of feet. And Wireless 1394 will probably be deployed next year. And it's all backwards compatible with the millions of camcorders that have been sold.

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Thats something that I never thought of till now. . . what Recievers will have Firewire in them, and will they have to be either 5c, or HDCP compliant?

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My Onkyo 989 can be upgraded(updated) to firewire, or so I've heard.

JediMastr

------------------

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm thinking the receivers probably will need to be 5C compliant to pass through the correct signal. OTOH, that actually could have some benefits since we shouldn't see those stupid Macrovision artifacts you get when you plug cables into too many devices. But all of that remains to be seen and is probably somewhat dependent on how well HAVI works.

On the cabling front, I forgot to mention that you can daisy-chain Firewire so you run one cable to your PVR and then run a cable from it to your TV. The Firewire signal works in both directions and potentially among all devices. You can have up to 63 Firewire devices on a single bus which is probably enough for our needs at present. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Receivers, heck, the speakers will probably have to be secure if you want better than 48 khz (IIRC) sound. I think they are down rezzing audio also.

But I'm no audio expert. I just remember something I read in the 5C or HDCP specs.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since that Onkyo lists for $3000, does anyone know if there will be any affordable THX select receivers with Firewire out this fall?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ericlhyman:
Since that Onkyo lists for $3000, does anyone know if there will be any affordable THX select receivers with Firewire out this fall?
The B&K 307 A/V Receiver (7.1) already has IEEE1394, the MRSP is $3,500, but I think is THX-Ultra.

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry:
Receivers, heck, the speakers will probably have to be secure if you want better than 48 khz (IIRC) sound. I think they are down rezzing audio also.

But I'm no audio expert. I just remember something I read in the 5C or HDCP specs.

- Tom
Tom, I laughed at first when I read that, but now I'm wondering if you were joking or not because I'm not positive.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Tom, I laughed at first when I read that, but now I'm wondering if you were joking or not because I'm not positive
Chap -

Sorry, I may be wrong but I wasn't joking. I even remember posting it here somewhere a few months ago when I saw it in either the HDCP of 5C specs.

Curiously at that time I got no response. Maybe everyone thought I was joking then too. But possibly I just mis-read something.

Anyone else remember this?

- Tom

------------------
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Chap -

I went looking and found the following in the HDCP License agreement.

See this

Quote:
3. Compliance Rules for Display Devices. The rules set out in this Section 3 apply to

Display Devices.

3.3 Digital Outputs. A Display Device shall not permit the output of Decrypted

HDCP Content to digital outputs, except, if a Display Device is also a Repeater,

as expressly provided in Section 5.3 of these Compliance Rules. Notwithstanding

the foregoing, Display Devices may output the audio portions of Decrypted

HDCP Content in (a) analog form or (b) digital form in either compressed audio

format or in Linear PCM format in which the transmitted information is sampled

at no more than the equivalent of 48 kHz and no more than 16 bits per channel.

3.4 No Analog Outputs. Except as otherwise expressly provided in Section 3.3 of

these Compliance Rules, a Display Device shall not permit the output of

Decrypted HDCP Content in any analog representation.
(emphasis supplied)

Note nothing yet says an STB can't output what it wants, but once it IS in HDCP form the license restrictions above apply.

- Tom

------------------
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>

[This message has been edited by trbarry (edited 07-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
My understanding is that the B and K receiver has an "empty" firewire port on the rear panel. I call it empty as it is not hooked up to anything.

Jeff Hipps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.