AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Mits D-VHS from my local MITS dealer. It will be in on Wednesday.

Here is my dumb question.

Can I just use the cheapest firewire card I can find at BB/Compusa or do I have to find one that is XP certified?

How long can the firewire cable be? The HTPC will be a good distance from the D-VHS.

Okay - that was 2 questions:)

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Joe,

I highly recommend that you purchase an Adaptec 4300 card. The prices are higher than most, but low enough at about $50-60, and it's sure to work without much effort. Generics, on the other hand, can be very troublesome.

I'm not sure about the length but the card comes with a 6ft. cable.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jamoka
http://www.newegg.com

15.00 at Newegg. Mine works fine. They also have cheap cables.

Joe
Are you using this card with the Mits recorder or the JVC?

What chipset is on the Card? I found a site that reviews firewire cards (through a link on newegg thanks to you ) and there were some chipsets it said to avoid.

I know the card is 6 pin but is the D-VHS end 4 or 6 pin?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I chose the Soundblaster Audigy sound card because it comes with a free builtin firewire interface and didn't require a dedicated PCI slot. Also, the XP drivers I am using now have a Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatability digital signer to ensure XP reliability/compatility for the WDM and IEEE 1394 drivers.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
JoeQ,

I am using two different generic FW cards and having good results with both. One of them have the VIA chip and the other has the NEC chip. They work with my Mits and the camcorder.

--Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.