AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All ...

I have been able to pull SD and HD content off my DCT3412 without issue for several years. It has recently stopped working. Has Comcast sent out a firmware update which broke it?

The TS stream I get out of my box now has no audio. Also once I start to capture the stream, I loose the video output going to the TV. Like the stream just doesn't go to the decoder and the last frame is stuck on the screen.

I have tried to soft reset the box (clear settings, memory, HDD), but no go. I am going to try to re-build my capture PC next.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am seeing the SAME issue. The firmware clearly changed because my menus all changed slightly (size of the font, shape of the boxes). Have you found a workaround or solution yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found a work around! I will give you the basic thing here, and I'll post a tutorial on my blog tomorrow. These instructions are for my Mac, so YMMV.

With the firewire unplugged from your computer, start up the program on your DVR, and pause it a good bit before where you want to start recording.

Plug in the Firewire to your comp, and open your recording software, on my Mac I used AVCVideoCap from the Firewire SDK. You will notice when you plugged in the Firewire, the program started playing on your TV, even though it will still have the "pause" icon on your screen. This is good.

Actually start the recording. When you do this, the picture will pause again on your TV. At this point, press play on your remote to "unpause" your DVR. This process somehow makes the DVR now output audio AND video over the firewire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get the same problem now. I came home from vacation to find the software was updated on my DVR. Then when I tried to record something it froze the screen on my TV until I pressed stop. I use CapDVHS through a firewire cable to record. I've been doing this with no problem for years. If I press pause on the DVR then start the recording it still doesn't work. If I fast-forward the recording then it will fast-forward but the TS file is unusable of course.

I was able to get the local news to record this morning during the Today Show. But when the Today Show was on it would be back to normal. The only way to make it work was to hit record during the local news and then let it run into the Today Show. I was able to record 2 hours this way. But I cannot get it to work any other way on any other channels. I now have one more reason to ditch Comcast and go back to DirecTV's crystal clear picture. How disappointing.

--Will

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPiFF-HD /forum/post/13927293

Hi All ...

I have been able to pull SD and HD content off my DCT3412 without issue for several years. It has recently stopped working. Has Comcast sent out a firmware update which broke it?

The TS stream I get out of my box now has no audio. Also once I start to capture the stream, I loose the video output going to the TV. Like the stream just doesn't go to the decoder and the last frame is stuck on the screen.

I have tried to soft reset the box (clear settings, memory, HDD), but no go. I am going to try to re-build my capture PC next.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I have a guy in comcast working on this he knows of no intentional

affect on firewire I have a DCT6412III were going to swap it out for another

perhaps a DCH-6416 I'll report when this has been done.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo /forum/post/14421120

I have a guy in comcast working on this he knows of no intentional

affect on firewire I have a DCT6412III were going to swap it out for another

perhaps a DCH-6416 I'll report when this has been done.

I got a update today...from my contact at comcast

they have now involved their engineers to review this issue

they may dissect my box to find out what's going on.

will keep you posted.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo /forum/post/14428453

I got a update today...from my contact at comcast

they have now involved their engineers to review this issue

they may dissect my box to find out what's going on.

will keep you posted.

my comcast guy wants to know how many of you have this issue and what state your in please chime in :) so we can get this nipped in the bud.

·
Registered
28,168 Posts
Welcome to the Scientific Atlanta world. Firewire stopped working for us (with rare exceptions) about 2 years ago. Had to be deliberately crippled by our cable companies; but no one seems to know for sure.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/14429392

Welcome to the Scientific Atlanta world. Firewire stopped working for us (with rare exceptions) about 2 years ago. Had to be deliberately crippled by our cable companies; but no one seems to know for sure.

My comcast guy would like anyone with this firewire issue to drop him a e-mail at
[email protected] george is one of us, he caps over firewire and wants to fix this problem for us.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo /forum/post/14429626

My comcast guy would like anyone with this firewire issue to drop him a e-mail at
[email protected] george is one of us, he caps over firewire and wants to fix this problem for us.

update from George please e-mail him.

We have now been in contact with Motorola. They are requesting the below

information.

1) How many reports?

2) What type of boxes is this reported on?

3) Was the firewire capture on live TV or recorded content?

4) Does this happen for all captures or with a specific programmer?

Thank you,

George Lunski

Comcast Corporate Office

Comcast Customer Connect

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo /forum/post/14429784

update from George please e-mail him.

We have now been in contact with Motorola. They are requesting the below

information.

1) How many reports?

2) What type of boxes is this reported on?

3) Was the firewire capture on live TV or recorded content?

4) Does this happen for all captures or with a specific programmer?

Thank you,

George Lunski

Comcast Corporate Office

Comcast Customer Connect

Also they want to know if it's SD & HD or just HD content that has the problem.

The more people that e-mail him the faster we can get this fixed :)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
It would probably be helpful to reference the S/W & F/W for users that are having issues.

Comcast in Detroit has recently rolled out Software 75.59 - a25p2-2.S1.r-8 and Firmware 16.53.

Firewire still works fine for dumping to D-VHS.

S/W & F/W versions can be found by going into Main Menu, Setup, Cable Box Setup, Configuration Select To Display. S/W version is right at the top, Firmware is on the left side, 5 items down.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
George,

Here in the DC area (montgomery county, MD), every since they moved over to DCH-6416 (and DCH-34xx) series, my DVHS signal has been set to record once even on HD local channels. My old DCT-6208 broke 1 1/2 years ago and I had to replace it, with the DCT6416 (video was stutteriing on firewire), then the DCH-6416. The reason why I know it is record once on all channels because I tried to copy to my computer and it would not let me from my DVHS recording (transferred from the DVR). I then tried an old recording from DVHS and that copied fine. Directly connecting my computer to the DVR just crashes my computer. This is really upsetting.

Can you get this fix? I would love to dump the 2008 Olympics Opening Ceremony to my computer.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? /forum/post/14430758

George,

Here in the DC area (montgomery county, MD), every since they moved over to DCH-6416 (and DCH-34xx) series, my DVHS signal has been set to record once even on HD local channels. My old DCT-6208 broke 1 1/2 years ago and I had to replace it, with the DCT6416 (video was stutteriing on firewire), then the DCH-6416. The reason why I know it is record once on all channels because I tried to copy to my computer and it would not let me from my DVHS recording (transferred from the DVR). I then tried an old recording from DVHS and that copied fine. Directly connecting my computer to the DVR just crashes my computer. This is really upsetting.

Can you get this fix? I would love to dump the 2008 Olympics Opening Ceremony to my computer.

you need to e-mail George, he is not on the forum.
[email protected]

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have the same problem. I made successful test recording (3416 to D-VHS) right before 2008 Olympics started, but I couldn't do anything now.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyu /forum/post/14432488

I have the same problem. I made successful test recording (3416 to D-VHS) right before 2008 Olympics started, but I couldn't do anything now.

be sure to drop a e-mail to George with all the info Ken H recommends

dargo.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo /forum/post/14433738

be sure to drop a e-mail to George with all the info Ken H recommends

dargo.

The starter of this thread described my problem exactly, and I have the same model DVR as him with this latest version of updated firmware/UI. I will be in wait and see mode for now. I find it hard to believe this was just accidental and not an intentional attempt to make archiving off the DVR more difficult. I don't feel comfortable providing detailed info to anyone regarding this, no offense. However, in case it really was an oversight on their part, please ask your Comcast guy to see if he can get their testers to pay more attention to the firewire functionality on all the DVR models in active service so something like this hopefully doesn't happen again when they decide to roll out yet another update of minor changes like this.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sending the email to that link above but wanted to post this here too.

On Sunday morning, Comcast in Western PA/Eastern OH updated their firmware. In doing so, I notice no real problems with the firewire on broadcasts being recorded live.

However, I attempted to save the Mens 4x100m relay. After recording it to the DVR, I tried my trusted firewire on CAPDVHS method. It did what the OP said it would do. Tried VideoLan. Same thing.

I have a Motorola 3416 III. Hopefully this can be fixed soon as the Olympics are quickly filling up my box and I have no way of getting them off there.

Thanks to whomever is contacting Comcast about this.

Email being sent.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb245 /forum/post/14383656

I found a work around! I will give you the basic thing here, and I'll post a tutorial on my blog tomorrow. These instructions are for my Mac, so YMMV.

With the firewire unplugged from your computer, start up the program on your DVR, and pause it a good bit before where you want to start recording.

Plug in the Firewire to your comp, and open your recording software, on my Mac I used AVCVideoCap from the Firewire SDK. You will notice when you plugged in the Firewire, the program started playing on your TV, even though it will still have the "pause" icon on your screen. This is good.

Actually start the recording. When you do this, the picture will pause again on your TV. At this point, press play on your remote to "unpause" your DVR. This process somehow makes the DVR now output audio AND video over the firewire.

This actually works as far as getting the audio to actually record onto your PC. It DOES NOT, however, make the picture visible on your TV while doing that.

For the PC:

Start recorded program a minute before desired start point on program

Press pause

Plug Firewire Cable in

Open CAPDVHS

Press REC

Press Play on DVR remote

You won't see anything on the TV screen but if you record the desired program for as long as you think you need to, you can stop it and check it. Unlike the other recordings, the 5.1 audio does exist this time.

I hope Comcast can get a firmware update out soon.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts