AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of a projector being released with a firewire connection? I have been debating on whether or not to go ahead and get a projector for my hometheater or possibly wait for the release of a projector with that connection. I have approximately 3 months before my home is complete, but I would rather have a projector with the connection than a Mits 73" rear projec. tv with the connection. Since all the info I have been getting is that that is were the industry is headed. It will also make all the difference how I prewire my home. Thanks in advance for any help given, this is a great site.

·
Registered
153 Posts
AFAIK Firewire doesn't have the bandwidth to carry an uncompressed video signal so it isn't ideal. There are a few projectors available with DVI connectors, this is a much higher bandwidth digital connector that can be used for output from a PC, DVD player or video scaler.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I seem to recall someone mentioning that the maximum length of a DVI connection is somewhat limited - does anyone recall what this is?

I'm running around 30' from source to projector, and DVI couldn't go this far. Right now it seems analog is still the only option for long runs.

Kelly

·
Registered
441 Posts
Kstirman:

Currently it is dificult to find DVI cables over 15 feet. There are several products, ie from Extron, that will amplify the signal and allow longer DVI distances. I have not used these products and cannot tell you the extent, if any, of signal degredation.

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
Firewire has been changed to handle the bandwidth. Sony is using it and calling it I-link on there new HDTV sets. I was in the same situation. I have decided to purchase a projector now because I do not think a digital connection is going to be required on a projector. I think it's Mitsubishi that is releasing a D-VHS recorder. If you check the specs you will see that it has a firewire input but a component video out. That tell me that the direction that the industry is going to take is to focus on the recording devices which is what they should have done in the first place. They are really not concerned about you viewing HDTV but rather making copies. So, this way the can stop you from copying the HDTV signal without their consent and still allow all current sets to view HDTV. The scare was when the Panasonic D-vhs could make copies from a component signal. That unit has been pulled and I expect all future D-VHS recorders to have a firewire input since the CEA adopted firewire.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Per the DDWG spec, DVI is limited to a cable length of 16.4 feet (5 meters). Extron does have the DDTX/DDRX DVI which sill allow you to drive the signal up to 330 feet (100.58 meters), but it is a pricey item ($2995).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.