Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to capture from a DV camcorder to a FireWire drive.

If I capture to the internal disk every thing is fine, but if I try to capture to the FireWire drive I end up with 1 in 100 dropped frames and pixilated picture.

I thought firewire had the bandwith to do this, I know it's been done on the MAC for years.

Panasonic DV Camcorder

Sony Laptop 1ghz Athalon (XP Home 256MB)

120Gig MAXTOR 8MB 7200 in an ADS FireWire case.

(DVcam)-->(FW drive)-->(Laptop)

PLEASE HELP

Les_D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
desperate for any advice.

I've shut down every un-needed process, disabled anti-virus, I even killeed explorer.exe

I'm still dropping frames and getting green macro blocks throughout the video.

Again, capturing directly to the internal disk is flawless.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have seen a similar problem with your configuration on a Sony505 laptop group on Yahoo The problem was with using addon hard drive enclosures with two firewire ports on the enclosure. The person with the issue never got it to work but didn't seem to report back what they tried.

Does your Vaio have an Network Adapter in the Device Manager having to do with your firewire port? If so you could try disabling that.

Is Sony Smart Connect Installed -- If so on my vaio it has a way to shut it off.

If that desn't work do you have a desktop machine with firewire you could try this on? It could be the ADS enclosure doesn't really have a good implementation of a firewire hub.

Good luck,

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.