AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to input a firewire signal into Dscaler? I was thinking of buying a firewire bridge with analogue video inputs which I assume would get around the normal noise issues associated with processing analogue video signals inside a pc.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
No, but it will work with SDI input. I think AJA analog -> SDI converters run around like $600 though...

You would need an SDI Silk 100 card as well for your PC.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any theoretical problems with getting a firewire feed into dscaler? I don't know much about it but wouldn't have thought the difference between the sdi code and the firewire code would be that great.

Firewire cards seem to be a lot more affordable and have a higher availability in non US regions.

While we're on it is it possible to modify current dvd players to have the firewire output just as they can have the sdi outputs?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
DScaler is limited by the input options available on Connexant bt8x8 based capture cards. To date the only inputs available have been Tuner, composite, svideo and SDI.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jeff

So I guess what we should be asking for is a BT8x8 based firewire input tuner card.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well when the 848 first struck silicon, Firewire did not exist.

You can buy cheap 1394 cards for less than the price of a Brooktree card. I am using one now for external HD cases. Why not add a 1394 card to your setup. I doubt you'll ever see dscaler work with one though.

T.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying that when the first 848 struck silicon, SDI did exist?

I'm sure they could add the capability if they saw the market for it.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
"Are you saying that when the first 848 struck silicon, SDI did exist?"

I don't think he's implying that, but it is true. SDI has been around for quite a few years.

"I'm sure they could add the capability if they saw the market for it."

DScaler is a free, open source application, and as such isn't driven much by market demands. If you mean a market for the card, I don't see the market there.

"About time they gave it Firewire/2 support then!"

Iago: You're more than welcome to add support. The DScaler team is always looking for developers willing to donate their time and skill for an open source application!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My point was only that just because the 848 didn't initially support it, doesn't mean it couldn't now. I'm sure firewire probably has actually been around longer than the 848, and perhaps longer than SDI also.

I was actually refering to market driven demand for the hardware.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
dyates,

You don't really seem to know what you are talking about :) SDI is a quite simple protocol and was (relatively) easily added. Firewire is a quite new standard (IEEE 1394) and with the impending copy-protection going on it, it would be stupid to try to implement it now. After the copy protection won't work either since PCs probably won't be allowed to decode "secured" stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
SDI has been around for about 20 years so not exactly new technology. It doesn't really matter if its new or old, what matters is what is supported by the bt8x8 chips.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
dyates,

You don't really seem to know what you are talking about :) SDI is a quite simple protocol and was (relatively) easily added. Firewire is a quite new standard (IEEE 1394) and with the impending copy-protection going on it, it would be stupid to try to implement it now. After the copy protection won't work either since PCs probably won't be allowed to decode "secured" stuff like that.

Fritz sucks.

It's all political hoopla anyway. If the media industry was less a media industry and more film producers or music providers, they wouldn't be in the mess they claim to be in... and I have serious doubts on whether it is so bad as the claim it is. It's all political hoopla.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cal

You're probably right, but you seemed to miss my point. I was basically saying that firewire didn't need to be around longer than the 8x8 series for it to be feasible to add it to the card (or I wouldn't have thought so anyway) and I made the assumption (silly I know) that firewire would possibly have been around just as long as SDI as I've only just started to hear about SDI in the last couple of years, whereas I know firewire is at least 7 years old.

·
Registered
337 Posts
In my experience of capture/editing, I've had some problems with IEEE1394, but no worse or more than with any other part of the system. So from a technical point of view, I see no reasong why there should not be such an interface on webtv-type cards by now. From a political point of view... well, heck, even Sony utilize it, calling it iLink. What's the problem!?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Dyates,

You seem to be missing the point here, with the incorrect assumption that Firewire is easy to add and wondering why they haven't already done it. As JeffY summed up, the BT cards do not support firewire. DScaler only works with BT cards. Therefore, no Firewire for DScaler anytime soon.

SDI is really a superior transport anyway, with the easier cabling and its professional rather than consumer background. The price kind of sucks, but with Firewire ready to be totally revamped, spending any time working on it isn't that bright.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Firewire is a compressed MPEG stream, at least for our purposes. DScaler would have to decompress it, in software, then go about all it's other tasks on top of that. I think you will find there isn't enough CPU horsepower to do all that even with a 2ghz P4. I'm running a P4 1.5 and with power stripe and more than two filters, I get dropped frames.

I think a lot of readers miss the point of consumer SDI. The purpose is soley to eleminate a stage of DtoA and AtoD conversion. It also has the benefit of keeping analog video out of the RF noisey PC chassis.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.