AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys. I'm new to the forum. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem. I have a the Scientific Atlantic 4200HD with Firewire from Cablevision. I also have the JVC HM-DH40000 D-VHS deck. Everything works. Except when I turn on the VCR to I-1 for Hi-Def thru the firewire, I get no picture or sound. I thought it was the cable box so I exchanged it for another one. Same problem. What I see on the I-1 is the VCR recognizing the cable box 4200HD, picture becomes letter-boxed for HD, but then it goes blank. No picture. To me it says that the JVC 40000 is working because it recognizes the cable box. Called Cablevision, they said it might be that certain 4200HD cable boxes does not have the 1394 ports actived from the factory. That only an experience Cablevision Tech will be able to determine this with testing equipment. (EVEN EXCHANGED THE FIREWIRE FOR A NEW ONE, SAME PROBLEM). If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that could solve this problem, I would really appreciate it. If not I would have to wait for Cablevision to come in on Monday. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
You need to talk to someone at your Cable Co who knows and understand Firewire and what kind of 5C flags the company is sending out. That may prove to be impossible.

It sounds like their 5C flags are wrong, as your 40K is doing exactly what any 40K will do when it receives improper 5C flags.

I was forced to file an FCC complaint to get my local cable co to go Firewire.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I agree with Matt. Assuming everything is working properly, sounds like a DTCP assert/copy freely conflict.

I'm surprised the cable configuration software would allow such a pairing because it only leads to headaches and, in my experiece, the phone reps *have no idea what is being discussed* if the subject is brought to their attention.

It takes data, persistance, management focus, and a *real technician* who knows or is willing to learn the DTCP/1394 system.

Paul

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I also have a Cablevision 4200 with firewire. I do not have the 40K but do have a 30K and a 5u. I usually get the blank screen on power up. To get a picture I change the channel on the 4200 cable box and then back to the channel I wish to view. It always comes back and works flawlessly after that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
check if you have audio..if audio is present then just flip the channel to L1 or adjacent channel and back to I1.It should work.I am sure your Firewire is active bcos the JVC is recognising the cable box(thro Firewire).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried what you suggested. Your right I have audio, but still no picture. When I change the changes thru the I-1 the audio changes with it. So that works, but it is like the video communciation between the Scientific Atlantic 4200HD box and the 40k is not fully being sent. I am waiting on a tech from Cablevision to hopefully fix. I was told from Cablevision that some HD cable boxes sent to them, the firewire ports were not active. I don't know if that is true or not. Thank you for you imput.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
That's the problem I have when there is a DTCP assert/copy freely conflict: there is audio but no picture.

I suspect that if they took one HD channel and set it to "copy once" that channel would then start working OK.

Paul

·
Registered
50 Posts
Charro31,

I am pretty sure that the Firewire is active bcos otherwise you wouldn't be receiving the audio plus you say that the cable box was recognised .

The problem could be DTCP as Paul mentioned.As you may know, the 5c flags are turned on by the local Cable companies..they could have screwed up.Keep us posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.