AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone who recently bought a Loewe Aconda, I am a little bit troubled by the future Firewire standard for HDTV connectivity. As all HDTVs presently made do not appear to have Firewire ports, will all of our sets be rendered obsolete? My question is this -- will it be possible for HDTVs to have add-on firewire ports, that are connected via existing connectors?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Since FireWire (1394) is a digital interface spec and current displays are analog devices, at least where the inputs are concerned, the question in my mind is this.

Will there be some sort of high quality conversion box/adaptor that will allow FW to work on the current crop of displays?

·
Registered
830 Posts
The question isn't so much as to a Firewire to HD component (or RGBHV) box, but rather a Firewire/5C to component/RGBHV.

A box that simply did FW->legacy would exclude you from viewing protected content, and hence not be very useful. I think the rub here is that in order to include 5C capability, the manufacturer would need to secure a license from the DTCP consortium. Would they license a device that essentially takes a protected stream and outputs it as unprotected analog HD?

·
Registered
66 Posts
> I suspect that this announcement from Mitsubishi will

> begin to set a pattern and establish the timing of the

> availability of the "new generation" of HDTV components.

May I ask, why should any of us support 5C if it (like the JVC alternative that everyone hates) will still allow companies to downgrade our HDTV picture? I don't understand why so many of our AVS Forum members are so willing to accept the notion of giving up our control over what comes into our own homes on our own machinery.

I can only hope that, what with 400GB harddrives on the horizon, there will be some Napster-type solution for HDTV watchers within a few years. Let's hope peer-to-peer technology will soon render the very concept of copy protection -- indeed, of copyright itself -- a de facto relic of the RIAA/MPAA age.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Regarding IEEE 1394 note that some AV Receivers already have inputs for it, and can process the digital signals. For example, B&K AVR307 does. If and when they are used a software upgrade might be needed, but there are receivers that are already hardwired.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
May I ask, why should any of us support 5C if it (like the JVC alternative that everyone hates) will still allow companies to downgrade our HDTV picture? I don't understand why so many of our AVS Forum members are so willing to accept the notion of giving up our control over what comes into our own homes on our own machinery.
There are also many of us who will NOT buy it. Probably enough that it will not take off very rapidly at all and some other compromises will have to be made.

Congress may become involved if it appears that copy protection is stalling the HDTV transition any further.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you all really suggesting that I should prefer buying a 38inch acconda with only Component inputs over one that accepts a copy protected Fire Wire input? That is wholly illogical. The MPAA owns the content and no body on this board or the early adopters are going to change that. If I am going to spend $5500 for a new TV and 750 for a box I would like to think I can get 5 or so years out of it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As the saying goes, you should had brought a Mitsubishi HDTV. All Mitsubishi HDTVs can be upgraded with the Promise Module when it becomes available. The Promise module will add the 8VSB tuner, two FireWire ports, HAVi, and 5C. The Promise module will be compatible with the Mitsubishi D-VHS deck. The promise module will arrive sometime in early 2002.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
98 Posts
IEEE-1394/5C is somewhat of a lesser of two evils choice. It is much better, in every respect, than the draconian DVI interface and copy protection.

5C is supported by the Consumer Electronics Association, which has been supporting the consumer's right to record, and it is also supported, I believe, by the Home Recording Rights Coalition. Sony and Warner Bros. have signed on as well, so it will be hard now for the other studios that want even more restrictions to stop IEEE-1394/5C now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As someone who purchased a Loewe Aconda very recently, all of this is very disturbing. I hope that there will be a way -- via sone sort of add-on that would be connected to the VGA port or the "service" port on the Aconda to add some form of firewire connectivity.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unfortunately using an "anti-hoodwink external box to provide component outs to our sets" will be illegal. I really see a potential class action lawsuit coming from the thousands of customers that own HD Ready TVs.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Here is some info from Mark Shubin's Monday morning news letter. < http://www.digitaltelevision.com/mondaymemo/mlist/ >

Quote:
- IEEE-1394 and DTCP copy protection -

- The 1394 Trade Association came out with IEEE-1394b today,

with support to 3.2 Gbps:

< http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2...b_standard.htm >

- Today's Consumer Electronics newsletter reports growing

support for the digital visual interface (DVI) and High-bandwidth

Digital Copy Protection (HDCP). The story notes among the supporters

Genesis Microchip, Disney, Universal, and, "conducting research with

both," Samsung. It also notes the possibility of DVI chips from

Pixelworks and Sage.

- Representative Rick Boucher wants the FCC to ask for public

comments on anti-copying technology for DTV and digital cable TV:

< http://www.tvinsite.com/multichannel...7=breakingNews >
------------------

Steve,

(STOP DFAST SUPPORTER)

[This message has been edited by Steve Richards (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
457 Posts
It's interesting to watch the little light bulbs get brighter when people start to understand just how serious the very real implications of the 5C and DFAST copy protection initiatives can be.

Rather than rant here about it, there are several threads in this forum related to the DFAST/5C issues. I encourage ANYONE who has already purchased or soon will be purchasing an HDTV, to read these threads. Learn as much as you can, and then help spread the word. For every 1 person that is concerned about their HDTV investments (and rights), there are 20 more people who don't even realize that these technolgies can cut them right off.

------------------

DVI/HDCP makes your HDTV not ready

·
Registered
539 Posts
Amargari:

Using an anti-hoodwink box to copy the signal to a recordable medium would certainly be wrong.

Using an anti-hoodwink box to VIEW a signal you are paying for on a HD Ready set would not be wrong.

Using an anti-hoodwink box to view a signal on a HD Ready* set could be considered wrong. '*' meaning, you've been informed that the set you are buying will shortly become obsolete.

I think Alan said he bought a HD Ready set. Not a HD Ready* set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.