4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHound
Has Apple totally lost their minds?
Yeah, Steve Jobs is crazy....like a Fox.

After almost 30 years of making great computers and even better operating systems and always being second banana to Bill Gates, Steve is about to unleash the coup-de-tat by releasing Mac OS X onto the huge PC market to directly compete with M$.

Apple will surely die a quick painful death by becoming a computer software only company and only making iPods as their only hardware product. No one can make any $$$ by being a software company only. Producing a stable, bug free, secure operating system is total lunacy. No one will buy it.

M$ has nothing to fear.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A leaked dev kit install equals the end of Apple? That sounds a bit hasty. I don't for a moment believe that Apple will let the official TigerX86 release install on a Dell or any other vanilla x86 machine. If Apple's x86 machines will be able to run a basic WinXX install with no hacks, that would lay a huge challenge in front of Dell in terms of value, IMHO.

Cool and all, but does this appy to Mac HTPC? Have you gotten your EyeTV up and running?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I appreciate your sarcasm.

Apple makes it pretty clear they intend to stay in the hardware sales business. The issue of OS-only sales has been debated to death. Apple has repeatedly determined it's a losing proposition to compete head-to-head running on generic hardware. For one thing quality control over the "Mac experience" would go to hell when OS X runs on everyone's beige box. I read analyses that conclude Apple would need at least 35% market share to have any chance of success at a software-only OS venture. Given the exponential increase in complexity -- as demonstrated by MS' endless Longhorn delays -- trying to make an OS work with everyone's hardware is not an easy proposition.

But that's not what I'm talking about here. This ********** debacle is not going to help Apple's quarterly sales figures. It undercuts the main reason for buying Apple brand computers, which is the box comes with a really great OS. I'm afraid some people may mistakenly buy a Dell instead of a Mac, hoping they will be able to load it up with MacOS 10.5 next year. While a freely downloaded OS might make some consumers pause before sending checks to M$, it doesn't answer the question about where Apple's future cash flow going to come from.

Contrary to some of the rumor mongers, I don't think this ********** was an intentional accident. I hope people don't end up in court because of illegal software downloads. Please be careful.

·
Registered
206 Posts
YOu must realize the amount of people hacking OSX for x86 is small compared to the huge market of mac buyers - its a small blip, considered the extreme hackers to Apple, so they don't care, they say "let 'em have it" and they'll probably keep OSX on their own boxes for a while ... i think Apple and STeve are smart and will win - it will be studied by MBAs for a long time...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.