AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to connect my MiniDV equipment's FireWire port to my Sony 10HT component or DTV input rather than via the S-video. In checking for a converter, I have only found a Laird for $2600. Anybody know of a cheaper box?

Hal

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't imagine this to be worthwhile, but doing it through you PC would be cheaper. Just find some software that would allow full screen preview of firewire input.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is one DV/DVCAM deck that outputs component video. I believe its a Sony DSR-40. You might find one used on ebay for the same price as the Laird. But at least at that point you would have another deck. But I don't think that deck accommodates the LP speed mode. All the less expensive converter boxes I know of use the same electronics as your DV camcorder/deck has and outputs S or composite video, so you wouldn't be gaining a thing.

Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, there is a slightly less expensive alternative, and it is the JVC HR-DVS1U. This unit, which includes both mini-DV and S-VHS decks, has a COMPONENT back panel output from the mini-DV deck. The list on the unit is $2,000, and I picked mine up for $1,500, and since it has been out for a few months, there should be several Internet sites with a lower price for now. Also, JVC has just come out with a newer (less expensive) model of this dual well deck, the JVC HR-DVS2U, which I see listed at $1,400, but I do not know if it has component out for the mini-DV deck.

If you are interested in the HR-DVS1U, I think it has two related features that are really great, which may or may not be of use to you. First, I have been using the deck heavily for three months for editing (capture and final production) of mini-DV recordings. I'm using Adobe Premiere 6.0 on a G4 Mac for automatic capture of the HR-DVS1U for picking up clips, and then for recording from the Timeline for output to the HR-DVS1U after editing. Secondly, I'm using the HR-DVS1U to transfer content from mini-DV tapes to S-VHS tapes, and I've never had a combination of any decks which made such superb, pristine copies to S-VHS.

On the downside, I did have to return my unit for replacement of a defective fan, and in some other web site forums, I've heard of other quality problems experienced by some users. But that's the only problem I've had with the unit, and though I'm very critical of products and features on all kinds of equipment, for the money, I think this is a fabulous unit!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who replied.

Sonyuser, I will look into the new JVC to see if it retains

component out. I had given a little thought to the

original model.

Brian, is yours a Datatek or a Datavideo? Someone just gave

me info on a Datavideo and the specs look good if I settle

for interlaced. List price $649.

Hal

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
question,

are we talking taking the digital image on the firewire connection and converting it to the analog signal in a component cable?

-dave

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hal:

Brian, is yours a Datatek or a Datavideo? Someone just gave

me info on a Datavideo and the specs look good if I settle

for interlaced. List price $649.
Yeah, that's it...my bad. Datavideo...

As for interlaced video, that's all miniDV (consumer/prosumer) versions record. Yes, they also have progressive scanning recording, but it's not 30fps recording but usually 10,15,25 frames.

If you want DV and progressive scan, you best look into a $20k professional unit.

------------------

*always looking for Hi-Vision laserdiscs*

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sonyuser, I ordered the JVC HR-DVS2 today, since it

gives me a few other capabilities along with the component

output. Thanks again.

Hal

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sonyuser, I contacted a dealer who said that the HR-DVS1

was unavailable now, but that the HR-DVS2 also has component

out. I was careful to explain what I meant by component.

The thing gets here two days later, and you guessed it:

no component. Even B&H catalog says it has Y, Pb and Pr.

So I am frustrated, and back it goes. Know anyone with a

primo DVS1 they don't need?

Hal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.