AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sony digital 8 camcoder and would like to use its firewire digital output. My HS10 takes S-video but I want to use the component or to DVI inputs. Does anyone know any converters out there?

·
Registered
398 Posts
You could be looking at a $1000 solution to a $100 problem. Firewire is pure digital and component video ans S-video are both analog forms of video. I'd say just feed it the S.

Marvin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The video quality of S video is inferior to component or DVI. Any converter to DVI?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
To convert the miniDV signal on FireWire into DVI or component or VGA (which are all pixel-to-pixel signal formats), you will have to decompress the image information first, which involves serious image processing -- say, no less than the processing needed to play back DVD. Probably the most inexpensive solution will be an HTPC with a FireWire port plus some software that handles miniDV format.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. It looks like my best option is indeed an HTPC. I do have a capture card with a Firewire input. Where can I find a video card with a digital DVI-I (or D) output? (Readon 9700 only has an analog DVI output.)

Another option for me may be to transfer the video to a DVD and use the component out of my DVD player. This way I can use the good deinterlacer of the player.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.