AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm really itching for an excuse to get the JVC 30k d-vhs. I would feel much better about the purchase if I could record HD in addition to watching d-theater tapes. My HD cable box (SA2000HD) only outputs HD via component. Is there such a thing as a compnent --> firewire converter cable or box? Is there a reason it would be overly expensive to produce?

Thanks in advance,

TM

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
This has been discussed before...

Firewire is used to transport MPEG2 compressed data. Component is uncompressed analog. You would need two things to convert component to "firewire":

1) analog to digital converter - could be expensive depending on quality.

2) MPEG2 encoder - extremely expensive for a hi-definition version, especially if you want the encoder to recognize 3:2 or 2:2 sources, remove extra fields and add repeat flags. (I wouldn't be surprized at a ~$100,000 price tag.)

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody
Is there such a thing as a compnent --> firewire converter cable or box? Is there a reason it would be overly expensive to produce?

Thanks in advance,

TM
It's a lot more than an analog to digital conversion. Analog component video is de-compressed requiring about 160MBs. The firewire link runs up to 28mbs on the JVC, 19.3 on other DVHS machines.

The component video would need to be digitized and compressed via an MPEG2 encoder. Then it would need to be formatted to an ATSC stream. The compression engine is beyond the reach of consumer priced technology. Software encoding is not practical either as it is not even close to real time. And you would need an uncompressed buffer to hold the entire uncompressed HD stream while a softweare encoder does it's thing.

Firewire to component video is practical. You would need an MPEG2 decoder and D/A convertors. The only issue here is 5C encryption. An un-encrypted convertor could be built but would not work with protected material. Building a decrypter would not be legal, at least selliing or publically disclosing of how it was done. - See DMCA

·
Registered
545 Posts
Such a box is quite doable. It would be about $1,001,000.

Thats $1,000 to buy the parts to make the box.

and $1,000,000 to defend yourself from the lawsuits that would

arise from being the first person to try it.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'll take that as a 'no.' :)

I guess I'm still a fence sitter.

TM

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Since the original question is whether it is possible to go FROM Firewire to Component, and everybody seems to have jumped on the exact opposite question that was not even asked and answered it as not feasible to do component to firewire, I'll take a stab at the real question-

The answer- Yes, firewire to component is very easy and simple to do. There are lots of inexpensive boxes as well as equipment to do this I have several working right now.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
Since the original question is whether it is possible to go FROM Firewire to Component, and everybody seems to have jumped on the exact opposite question that was not even asked and answered it as not feasible to do component to firewire, I'll take a stab at the real question-

The answer- Yes, firewire to component is very easy and simple to do. There are lots of inexpensive boxes as well as equipment to do this I have several working right now.
Don,

The original question was in fact FROM Component to Firewire. Look at the question itself, not the title. :)

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
So now both questions are answered in this thread. Glimmie also responded to the 'Original' question, I see.

"Firewire to component possible? "

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah my fault - got the title backwards. What I really need to do is the more difficult direction: take the 1080i component out of my HD cable box and convert it to firewire to go into the JVC 30k...but looks like no can do :(

Does anyone know if the SA3100 HD box has firewire out and whether it would be compatible with the input on the 30k?

Thanks,

TM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.