AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some tips on firing up used projectors...

Since it is fall in the rainy Northwest, and hey, snow is falling on the local mountains :D , it's time to take a few precautions with the damp weather after you receive your new projector...

a) Bring the projector into a warm environment for at least 24 hours and let the unit warm up and have any condensation buildup dry off.

b) Upon turnon, I'd run the projector for 12 hours straight to dry up any other condensation not yet evaporated. Turn down the brightness level, the internal temperature will be the same at high or low brightness...

I have seen the odd pop and snap lately from a HV section from a projector left in the van for an hour or two after transporting it from my US mailing depot to the shop, so let those things dry off, man!

Curt

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Great advice Curt! In another life I was a TV repair man and I remember during the winter I would deliver the customers 25" console set to them and have to wait around for 1/2 hour, just let the thing come up to temperature and turn it on long enough to show them it worked and get paid. A couple of times being young and impatient I would turn them on anyway. “snap snap popâ€. Thank god tubes were so forgiving. Once on an RCA tube set the flyback fried right before the customer’s eyes because junior couldn't wait to watch the Gilligan’s Island reruns. I also remember once delivering a 7 foot long Magnavox Combo in a basement. Turned it on and "snap snap" heater to cathode short in the CRT. "Well back its back to the shop sir"

Mike

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don'tcha miss those days of the 7' 'coffins', the 25 watt tube amps, Garrard turntables and 25" B/W sets, and the zillions of screws you had to take off to get to the back of them...:D

Curt

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm glad i read this one, I was going to put a large humidifier in the same room as the projector....it can be very very VERY dry here in the "GREAT WHITE NORTH" in the winter........I will put it upstairs instead.....unless moisture is not really the problem and only harsh temperature differences are.

Wayne

Curt, What in the world are you doing, up until 1 and up at 4am

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:
I'm glad i read this one, I was going to put a large humidifier in the same room as the projector....it can be very very VERY dry here in the "GREAT WHITE NORTH" in the winter........I will put it upstairs instead.....unless moisture is not really the problem and only harsh temperature differences are.
It is dry here in AZ. I have a humidifer in my theater the keep the humidity between 40-50%

I was lower, but I was having Arcing problems with my projector, they're gone now.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I think that low humidity is fine maybe even preferred except for static risks, its the condensation formed by the transition going from cold outdoor temperatures to warm room temperatures that cause problems.

Mike

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:
I think that low humidity is fine maybe even preferred except for static risks, its the condensation formed by the transition going from cold outdoor temperatures to warm room temperatures that cause problems.
Try telling that to my CRT's that like to arc when the humidity is under 30%. Tim Martin was the one that suggested that may be the cause of my problem. He was right.

Mark.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Guys!

Stick within the general human comfort zone of between 45%-55% humidity and all should be fine!

You can pick up a cheap thermometer + humidity level meter From WalMart for $4.

Kal

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I guess low humidity is a relative term. I consider low humidity in the 30% range. During the summer in the basement without the air running taking moisture out it so moist its almost raining. So we have the opposite problem (arc city). So I agree with Kal everything is very happy in the 45%-55% range.

Mike

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I also rememeber those Coffines.:p

I am only 29 but when I first started DJing back east I got one of those old sets and pulled it apart.

The one I had, had a great set of horn tweeters and 12" woofers. I built new 2 way enclosures and used the drivers till I blew the dry acordian edges off the woofers. They were a pretty good set of JENSEN woofers. At the time that brand was WAY better then they are now. I also built a cool enclosure for the tube amp. I then bought a real power amp and the tubes were great for throwing against a brick wall. You know for kids the sound of exploding vacume tubes is COOL.

Ever try droping a boulder through an old TV picture tube:D Thants another story!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
A crazy technician that work for me would take the bad CRT's with no dud value and use then for target practice. He said it was cool watching them implode. I didn't think it was so cool when I didn't let a crt temperature stabilize and started to change it. I tightened up the band that holds it in and "Poof" all was left was the shadow mask and glass everywhere. Of course I had safety glasses on (yea right). Didn't matter I was 24 and you couldn't die at that age. I changed jobs shortly after that.

Vic: Those horns in the old Maggys were pretty good. But if I remember right the crossovers were crap.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
You are right MIKE. The crossovers were hmm? how should I put it..........JUNK

I used all new electronics when I built the new enclosures back then.:D

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kal, you want us to drop $4.00 at Walmart?? Heck, that's 1/3 of a new DVD..:D

MIke, the same thing happened to me. I was changing out a 25" CRT that did not match the chassis that I wanted to put it in, so I thopught if I could remove themetal band around the CRT that I could make it fit. Problem was, it was glued to the glass. Got 3/4 of the way around, and foop!

Foop, as it was an implosion...:rolleyes:

There was glass the size of my fist about 10' away. Not a scratch on me, and the implosion was so loud, I lost my hearing for about an hour.

Never did figure out why I did not get cut to pieces. No safety glasses either.. :eek:

Curt

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
Kal, you want us to drop $4.00 at Walmart?? Heck, that's 1/3 of a new DVD..:D
$4 for everyone else.... Curt, you can get your 'minty' used one on eBay for 1/10th the original cost. :D

Kal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.