·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 PS Blog

Quote:
PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.00) Update

Posted by Eric Lempel // Director, PlayStation Network Operations

Hi everyone, PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.00) adds a number of great new features that we're excited to share with you. The latest update incorporates changes that improve navigation on your PS3. First, you'll notice some cosmetic changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar). We've enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it's easier and even more intuitive to use. We've also added network improvements and personalization options to help enhance your PS3 experience.

Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:

* What's New - The Information Board will be replaced with a What's New section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, What's New displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.

* Status Indicator - In the top right corner we've added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.

* Friends List - Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends' respective profiles.

* PlayStation Store Shortcuts - We've added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.

* Personalization - Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.

* Trophies - Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategoriesbase trophies and add-on trophiesthat way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

To get a preview of what's coming in update 3.00, check out the video below:

We're looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.00 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
New dynamic themes look pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I don't really keep up with the rumor mill anymore....have they ever mentioned possibly implementing XMB-based chat (so you can talk privately in-game)?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ /forum/post/17020219

I don't really keep up with the rumor mill anymore....have they ever mentioned possibly implementing XMB-based chat (so you can talk privately in-game)?

I dunno for sure. But the first post has all the "confirmed" features new to the 3.0 firmware.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/17020233

I dunno for sure. But the first post has all the "confirmed" features new to the 3.0 firmware.

It will be nice to see how they can fix or futher F-up the messaging system. Click x to read messages was so nice while it lasted.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/17020246

It will be nice to see how they can fix or futher F-up the messaging system. Click x to read messages was so nice while it lasted.

It wasn't that bad. It went from just "X" to "/_\\" then "X".

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/17020246

It's been so long since I got a message on the PS3 (or responded to all our podcast fans) I don't know what Sony could possibly have done to the mail system to make it cumbersome.

Hey, dogdoctor, I saw your dog avatar in the list of "new" avatars! Looks like what's old is new again.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/17020270

It wasn't that bad. It went from just "X" to "/_\\" then "X".

It wasn't that bad. But it wasn't needed. Lets see what they do with it now.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/17020291

It wasn't that bad. But it wasn't needed. Lets see what they do with it now.

It kinda was needed because they wanted the focus to be on the profile cards.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ /forum/post/17020205

New dynamic themes look pretty cool.

Yeah I've been waiting for something like this since pretty much as long as I've had the PS3. It seems so obvious to me to implement it I'm glad they finally did. My background will be animated Day 1 this is available (assuming what they give out doesnt suck).

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/17020309

It kinda was needed because they wanted the focus to be on the profile cards.

Which should have been "/_\\" then "X" to get to the profile. I would say people more often than not want to see their friends messages rather than seeing their profile card. It sounds like they are tweaking it some...I hope for something more like the way it originally worked.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/17020346

Which should have been "/_\\" then "X" to get to the profile. I would say people more often than not want to see their friends messages rather than seeing their profile card. It sounds like they are tweaking it some...I hope for something more like the way it originally worked.

If they had done it in the manner that you're suggesting, then the focus would have been on the messages and not the profile card. To put focus on something, make it as easily accessible as possible, which would be hitting just "X". The only easier method would have been for the profiles to just show up when you highlight someone's name. I had no problem with adjusting to the changes.

If you're still having problems, you can just go to messages and hit "X" and "X" again. Sure it's no different than hitting "/_\\" then "X" because it's still doing one more thing than you want to do.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Still can't believe that in-game chat/cross chat is not available. It would be nice to have this once and for all. Guess it is more work than we thought.

Oh well, until the next update.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
It is nice on live that my friend can be playing one game and I can be playing a different game and we can be in private chat...ignoring all the idots in game.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty /forum/post/17020497

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...-v3-00-update/

Here's a video of it in action. Some of the interactive elements are really cool. I love that it has animated themes too! I change mine all the time (it's like art on my 46" plasma!) so I'm sure I'll spend plenty of time enjoying these!

The link is provided in the first post. But thanks again.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The whats new and ps store under the game and video column look cool. I thought this was the update for in-game chat, maybe Tokyo game show!

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopet /forum/post/17020558

The whats new and ps store under the game and video column look cool. I thought this was the update for in-game chat, maybe Tokyo game show!

Well, we don't know if this is the final list for the updates. These are just the confirmed changes/additions.

1 - 20 of 457 Posts